Author Topic: FRIENDSHIP  (Read 18144 times)

Offline hortonstn

FRIENDSHIP
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:24:25 PM »
anybody going to friendship this june? what matches will you shoot?

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
Re: FRIENDSHIP
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Daughter, Wife, and I will be going. Will be on the pistol line the whole week.
The Pistol Shooter

Offline trentOH

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 03:18:32 AM »
I've been looking forward to it since September! I haven't shot much there in a few years, mostly making myself useful and enjoying myself. This time I'll shoot a few aggregates, sell powder, serve as a range officer, shop, and grin myself silly.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:42:41 AM »
buying trip and escape from reality for me. When I drop into the valley all the other $#@* goes away ;D

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 03:54:06 AM »
I  will be there with a trailer full of grandkids, so expect visits to the woodswalk, running boar and little silhouettes.  Those turn the kids on to the  game.
Gene

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 03:56:59 AM »
Haven't missed in a long time.  For me it's the woods walk. Mike Miller made me a Dickert rifle with various "old man adjustments". I'm looking forward shooting the Dickert, looking at some great guns, and visiting with friends I haven't seen since last fall.

Regards,
Pletch

Ps maybe timing a few locks too.
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Mike New

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 04:00:48 AM »
I plan on going but I have never shot there. I am not a good shot and I'm afraid that I would embarrass myself. Mike.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 04:18:23 AM »
Mike, shoot anyway, the only way you should be embarsed is if you expect to and tell everyone that you will win. Just shoot to have a good time and just try to beat your self, that is out shoot your best personal scores.   Smylee

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 04:53:04 AM »
I agree with Smylee, Mike...  Enjoy the moment and shoot.  I wish I could go but its just not in the cards at this point in my life.  I have been to Friendship on occassions when traveling back east to visit family, but its been years since I've been there.  I have 7 years to retirement and my first plan of action is to get back to Friendship.

Offline Charlie B

• fcibarrels
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 03:02:06 PM »
I plan on going but I have never shot there. I am not a good shot and I'm afraid that I would embarrass myself. Mike.
The offhand line has added novice matches and this year an aggregate for shooters who have never won on the line,also most of the aggs. are classified so as soon as you shoot your classification agg. you are shooting only against shooters of your ability. It is a great place to shoot and learn from some of the best.
Charlie

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 03:31:19 AM »
I will there, not as a shooter but as a vendor on Commercial Row.  We will be in booth formerly occupied by the late Dr. Geo. Shumway, with books and a few other things for sale. I have not missed a shoot since 1969. Stop by and say "hi".

Offline trentOH

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 04:23:04 AM »

Go. Have fun. And shoot some! Shoot the classification aggregate to see if you are expert, sharpshooter, or marksman. It WILL be one of the three. There's a new 3 target aggregate this shoot called Novice, or something like that. It is NOT open to anyone who has taken a first place before at Friendship. So you won't be going up against many of the denizens of the line. And the Running Boar range is so new that there are ample opportunities to shoot poorly and not be noticed. :o

There's too much fun to have, and so many great people to meet to just be a wall flower. If you just ask, there are a bunch of us who would be tickled to show you around.

Vomitus

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 06:15:09 AM »
 Question; could a foreign retired (from work) smoothbore and light rifle off-hand shooter keep busy for week? Is there a primitive camp and a modern one? Have heard how it was in the late seventies and eighties. Sounds like "Shining Times"  back then! I've seen pictures of a massive primitive camp! Any comments?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 01:58:51 PM »
The primitive camp is still there but not nearly as big as in the late 70's. The Buckskinning folks made up a major portion then and some of the best meals I have ever had were made there over an open fire.
I don't know what happened but the NMLRA lost about 9000 members and the NAPR seems to have vanished. NAPR=National Association of Primitive Riflemen. With the demise of the Buckskin Report Magazine,it seems to have lost its voice. I know attrition from one thing or another causes loss of membership in marginal organizations like the NMLRA and new members are not really signing up. Adverse articles about Friendship haven't helped either and are frequently written by people who know nothing about what is going on with the muzzle loading activities and I recall one article that said it was a
County Fair junk swap with a lot of racket coming from guns being fired. That did nothing to enhance the NMLRA. I go there twice a year to visit and with the idea that I will see old friends and enjoy it and that is exactly what happens.

Bob Roller

Offline Charlie B

• fcibarrels
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 03:00:11 PM »
Question; could a foreign retired (from work) smoothbore and light rifle off-hand shooter keep busy for week? Is there a primitive camp and a modern one? Have heard how it was in the late seventies and eighties. Sounds like "Shining Times"  back then! I've seen pictures of a massive primitive camp! Any comments?
With all the shooting opportunities a week won't seem like enough time! We have primitive and modern camping avaliable. You will be most welcome.
Charlie

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 03:17:07 PM »
I went to Frienship in the early 1980's and it was one of the most memorable experiences in my life.
I would love to return one more time, while I can.
I do highly recomend it to anyone who enjoys black powder.
Bring your gun and a shooting buddy, you will meet mighty fine people as well.
To me it was not " How competitive I was", it was the pure joy of being at the biggest & greatest  black powder event in the world.
If you really enjoy this black powder stuff.....you have to go.
Here is a special tip,  DON"T  bring somebody that is going to rush you.
Old Ford  ( Fred)
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline James

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 11:45:51 AM »
Where might I find a detailed description of the different matches?
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Charlie B

• fcibarrels
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 02:09:58 PM »
Where might I find a detailed description of the different matches?
Go to NMLRA website last years program is available to download it will be very close to this years.
Charlie

Offline James

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 02:29:56 PM »
Thanks Charlie, I check the ads out every week, just hadn't found that part yet.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline trentOH

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »
James, you'll find it at.....
www.nmlra.org/pdfs/June11ShootProgram.pdf

See you there?

Offline LH

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »
Looking forward to it and planning on staying all week now that I'm unemployable.
I'll be on the rifle range shooting all of the flint aggs, and some of the other offhand stuff along with the musket one day.   Great fun with the biggest collection of muzzleloader shooters anywhere. 

J.Cundiff

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 02:48:47 AM »
....I don't know what happened but the NMLRA lost about 9000 members....

Wasn't that due to their unwillingness to exclude modern inline muzzleloaders? I seem to recall a whole bunch of folks being highly upset with that decision.

Dave K

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 02:59:59 AM »
I usually go twice a year, but, that last couple years I haven't been there as regularly as I had been. I have been going since around '78. Lately as much I as want to go, there is just a change in the economy. Price of gas and all and I am not a shooter there, just a shopper. But, I still think it is one of the best Ml'er places to be. I don't think the admission of inline really had anything to do with anything. Though, they aren't for me. Even back in the early 80's you seen some pretty modern looking shotguns that didn't resemble an original gun at all, at the shotgun events. I have noticed one thing and it has nothing to do with muzzleloading. Every hobby I enjoy is not as big as it once was. Why, I don't know? People who are working are generally working more hours than they used to. More kids (maybe it is their parents!) are more involved really seriously in sports then they once were. Sadly,things just change.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 03:58:21 PM »
James, you'll find it at.....
www.nmlra.org/pdfs/June11ShootProgram.pdf

See you there?

It's almost overwhelming the number of matches available to shoot at the NMLRA doings.  However, there is something for everyone as you sort through these Aggregate Matches.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 07:07:33 PM »
One I always liked was the "Jim Bridger" match.  It's a 50 yd cross stick Flint, open sights.
I shot a 50 and 3 X and didn't even come in 3rd that year. Sometimes a 50 and 2 will win it.
Oh well.
The Pistol Shooter