Author Topic: Gun screwdriver  (Read 4463 times)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Gun screwdriver
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:43:58 PM »
I was browsing the internet yesterday, seeing if I could see what an ordinary 18th century turnscrew might look like.  I ran across this!

http://thebestthings.com/misctool.htm

Scroll about a third of the way down to item #MI111217 Gun Turnscrew Dated 1776

Genuine or not, it is pretty cool.  To me, anyway.  I will assume the extra lug/blade at the top is for tightening up top jaw screws.  With the screwdriver sideways, you get extra oomph.   ;)

I must make one...
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Rick G.

Re: Gun screwdriver
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:30 PM »
Looks like a handy and useful tool. The draw knives were nice as well. Living in Brooklyn makes it hard to find quality tools like these.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:58:52 PM »
Check out Garret Wade for a reasonable set of three.  They work well.

http://www.garrettwade.com/handsome-gunsmith-screwdrivers/p/83R05.01/

The old forged style are nice also

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »
Hers a couple I made. They are fairly easy to make and handy. I have found using 1084 or other high carbon steel works the best for turn screw bits.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 07:57:32 AM »
Very nice. Functional and probably period correct.
Eric Smith

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »
Probably more 19th century than 18th but I'm no expert on tools. I've seen some in books that were said to have been in old shot bags but you never know when these things were added.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »
Baker, This one interests me. I have been building turn screws for all my guns and bags. I wonder what they carried in the 18Th century to change a flint or to remove a lock to clean. I really like the look of your Turn Screws and was wondering if you patterned them after an original. Thanks for posting. Bob

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 07:40:45 PM »
I seen some like these in a book or auction, I can't remember. I'll try to look them up tonight if I don't forget. I've seen more bag turn screws that are all steel with a loop for grasping. They seem more common than ones with wood handles. Although the wood handle ones are quite popular today.