Author Topic: Any one else get impatient during a build?  (Read 6549 times)

4ster

Any one else get impatient during a build?
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:10:37 AM »
So I am plugging away at a 50 caliber kentucky pistol kit.  Today I realize that all the key parts are where they should be in the build and if I just drill the vent I can see how she shoots.  No sights yet, precarved stock has all the parts mounted except the nose cap, all the steel parts are in the white. The stock still needs final shaping, I will be looking at examples tonight to finalize the grip shape in the pinky finger location, it doesn't feel quite right how she is now.  Aw heck....

Now realize that this is my second build, the first one was a TRS Ferguson so this is my first true muzzle loader, even though this is my second flintlock build.

I lube some patches with some Crisco, pour 40 grains down the tube, ram the patch and ball then prime.  This is a new routine, but it goes well.

Aim, pull the trigger... surprise! BANG!  I still need to get used to this "non military" trigger.  I did not hit the target.

Load again.  Patch and ball....... Dang, the powder goes in first right?

Now I have to make a ball puller.  Grrrr 

Ball puller is done, I proceed to make a nice group of three shots.  High and to the left by about 4" but on the paper.

I feel better now.

After cleaning, she is apart and on the workbench waiting for final stock shaping.  While she feels ill used, the builder is pleased.

Anyone else have "premature" issues or is it just me?

Offline Ezra

Re: Any one else get impatient during a build?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 06:22:09 AM »
Patience?  What's that?  ;D

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline marcusb

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 06:36:48 AM »
I try to stay in the habit of walking away any time that feeling comes over me.

Nothing good comes from it

Fred_Dwyer

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 06:47:15 AM »
I proceed to make a nice group of three shots.

I been thinking about building a new gun, but that exact thing stops me. I'd do that and figure, "Hells bells, if I keep messing with it, it will start shooting bad. " then be walking around shooting raw metal in a rough cut, raw stock.
"A man's got to know his limitations." ;)

54ball

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:46:49 AM »
 There is no harm in what you speak, shooting an unfinished gun.  Now rushing to complete a gun is a different matter.
  Actually I can think of a multitude of reasons to shoot an unfinished gun.  The first being sights, especially on a smoothbore or if special sight decoration is desired on a rifle.  Secondly and more important is fit.  Grip shape in a pistol, LOP, buttstock shape, cheek piece shape can be fined tuned by shooting before final finish.

WMnBR

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 12:09:37 PM »

Glad I'm not the only one.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 02:41:13 PM »
Wood gets powder fouling and oil on it. It ain't gonna stain properly.

The shooting part is my incentive to finish a project, otherwise, I'd stop working on it. It's hard enough to finish a gun. Sometimes I gotta use every means I can to get the thing done.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
As a help - break down the project in to smaller 'jobs' i.e. in let tang, install b plate, etc.  never ever look at the entire project ahead of you you will think 'I'll never get this finished.   :)

Rangerdave

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 05:03:47 PM »

Impatience is something I have always struggled with concerning projects. In recent years I have clung to the mantra above as I'm pretty certain most all of my past tool injurys and repair-worthy mistakes have come whilst under the influence of impatience!

NSBrown

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
The slower I go, the sooner I get done.

Black Hand

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »
The slower I go, the sooner I get done.
Very wise!  I say: The faster you go, the slower you go....

Offline b bogart

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 06:18:25 PM »
I may not be good but I sure am slow! Impatient, sometimes but man does it hurt afterwards.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »
Absolutely! Everyone says I must be extremely patient to do all this work...and I agree. Remember the old Gallo Wine add, "I will sell no wine before it's time". I guess that has been my approach for many years. If you get impatient and start thinking about cutting corners, put down your hammer & chisel, turn out the lights and walk away. Go do something else, and come back when you are in the right frame of mind.
I don't like to shoot them in the white because of the dirt, oil & fouling.
Tom C.

greybeard

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »
So I am plugging away at a 50 caliber kentucky pistol kit.  Today I realize that all the key parts are where they should be in the build and if I just drill the vent I can see how she shoots.  No sights yet, precarved stock has all the parts mounted except the nose cap, all the steel parts are in the white. The stock still needs final shaping, I will be looking at examples tonight to finalize the grip shape in the pinky finger location, it doesn't feel quite right how she is now.  Aw heck....

Now realize that this is my second build, the first one was a TRS Ferguson so this is my first true muzzle loader, even though this is my second flintlock build.

I lube some patches with some Crisco, pour 40 grains down the tube, ram the patch and ball then prime.  This is a new routine, but it goes well.

Aim, pull the trigger... surprise! BANG!  I still need to get used to this "non military" trigger.  I did not hit the target.

Load again.  Patch and ball....... Dang, the powder goes in first right?

Now I have to make a ball puller.  Grrrr 

Ball puller is done, I proceed to make a nice group of three shots.  High and to the left by about 4" but on the paper.

I feel better now.

After cleaning, she is apart and on the workbench waiting for final stock shaping.  While she feels ill used, the builder is pleased.

Anyone else have "premature" issues or is it just me?

"GOD GRANT ME PATIENCE"     But please hurry!!!   Bob Reader  (spelling??)

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 07:41:54 PM »
I start out "fast" , but the further along I am in a build , the slower I go.

4ster

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 06:28:59 AM »
I did not mean to imply that I am hurrying and making mistakes.  I make enough mistakes at my glacial pace, I don't need to hurry up and make more!

I'll say that actually firing the pistol helped me to realize that I wanted to adjust the grip architecture a little bit.  There is nothing like holding the barrel on target and feeling how the gun reacts when the trigger is pulled.  I could have held the gun all day without powder and ball in it and not got the instinctual instruction.