Author Topic: Bucks County 1/2 stock  (Read 12887 times)

Offline bgf

Re: Bucks County 1/2 stock
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 06:07:29 AM »
I've been loving it since you posted, even though my knowledge of Bucks County is limited to what I see on here for the most part.  Half-stocks never get the respect they deserve, and I like the way you think about projects for earlier builders.  I am doing a similar concept (different area, southern) half-stock now, not for reasons of economy, but because it is a target rifle and h/s seems to simplify things.  I can see however that it could be a very economical way to go also, as a straight barrel and half-stock blank are very reasonable.  I like it even more now.

Off on a tangent: does anyone build the New England halfstocks seriously?  I have no personal ties to that area , but some of the guns are quite stunning in their own way, and it seems a shame that there aren't more builders (who may have ties to that area) building them.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:11:19 AM by bgf »

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »
bgf
Here is a link to a New England Rifle I made last year.It happens to be a fullstock but I've done wooden ribbed half stocks also.

Link:http://mitchyatesgunmaker.com/gun-galleries/new-england-style-guns-2/

Mitch Yates
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:50:05 PM by aka tallbear »

Offline sdilts

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 03:38:04 AM »
Really a beautiful gun Mitch. I really love the long wrist. How long is it? I'm guessing 6 or 7 inches.
What length barrel did you use?

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 06:59:37 AM »
The half stock puts me off a little, but the architecture and carving look great. I don't think the incised carving could be better done.