Author Topic: In the works  (Read 3221 times)

Offline smylee grouch

In the works
« on: April 27, 2012, 06:27:06 AM »
Over the last couple of years I have noticed alot of guys with the same situation as me in that they have more than one gun in the works at a time. I usualy dont like to let a precarved stock sit with out the barrel inleted and I have 5 other guns in various stages of completion. Do many of you do the same?  Will letting those stocks sit for prolonged time spans affect much and if so what?    Smylee

Michael

Re: In the works
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »
Just finished a Dickert I started------------6 years ago!?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
I always leave the barrel in the inlet.

I'd hate to have the inlet shrink up and not be able to get the barrel in, or worse, forget, and use the barrel for another project.

Know what I mean, Roger? ;D

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »
I agree with what has already been said. As long as you leave the carved stock supported with a barrel and don't just throw it in a corner and forget about it for months it should be OK. ;D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 04:37:10 PM »
I always leave the barrel in the inlet.

I'd hate to have the inlet shrink up and not be able to get the barrel in, or worse, forget, and use the barrel for another project.

Know what I mean, Roger? ;D

[/quote ???

oldarcher

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 05:06:06 PM »
I have three in the works right now and I have concerns about warpage and moisture content to unsealed wood. I know that I have had ramrods get stuck in rifles that were in the safe for some time. I guess that I will try to keep the stocks dry and in the house until I actually work on that specific rifle. I can't seem to pass up a good deal on a stock so I have four other stocks that do not have barrels yet.