Author Topic: Sliding Patchbox question  (Read 2766 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Sliding Patchbox question
« on: April 27, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »
I'm working up my first sliding patchbox, on a York rifle. I have seen some where a small steel inset has been dovetailed into the buttplate at the latch location to minimize wear there from the latch. It's a nice touch, but was it common, or recommended?

Offline Dave B

Re: Sliding Patchbox question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
Just when you say they never did it that way some one will present the origial with the part in question. I have never personally seen an original with one of these. I liken it to the cool looking lock only to find inside it has a coil spring. It works fine but is not what one expects underneath. if you like the idea no one will be the wizer till its opened up. I know I prefer the way most all are made
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 06:06:05 PM »
This sort of thing could always have been a repair.  In general I would expect to see this sort of thing on a Germanic gun more so that American work.  Not that I can recall seeing it before though.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »
I like Jim's take on this. A lot of use might cause the spring to wear the brass BP to the point where the lid is not retained securely. An iron insert would be a great fix.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 12:45:20 AM »
The wood box rifle I made in 1973 for display in the CWF Gunshop has had the box opened and closed thousands of times and there is almost no wear to the brass. The smooth surface of a hard spring slides easily over the brass edge.

However I do remember seeing an original where there was a little flat nail driven into the wood about halfway between the butt piece and the cavity. It was likely first work or a very old repair since that is where the notch in the catch spring lined up.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »
Thanks Guys, I guess i'll leave it brass.