Author Topic: J. Edmonds converted to percussion, any info ??  (Read 4033 times)

jimsjunk

J. Edmonds converted to percussion, any info ??
« on: April 29, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »
Hello,
I just acquired this percussion, marked J Edmonds.  I am looking for information ion this rifle.  Is this also a Upper Susquehanna school.  Does have a really nice eagle patch box.  Please see link for all the photos on photobucket.  
Thank You
Jim

The link

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/jimsgunsandengraving/J%20edmonds/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:20:28 PM by jimsjunk »

Offline Majorjoel

Re: J. Edmonds converted to percussion, any info ??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:18:11 AM »
Jim, welcome to the ALR forum. I believe you have a very nice rifle from North Carolina. At least the patchbox has all the trimmings from the Salem school and used by the Vogler family of Smiths there. I have not ever heard of J. Edmonds, but I'm sure someone here who is more acquainted with NC work will surely chime in. Thank you for showing us your rifle. It really makes my day!    Joel
Joel Hall

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:24:57 AM »
There is a Jacob ( Aaronsburg, Center Co, PA) and a John ( Bushkill, PA ) Edmonds in Seller's Book. I am unfamiliar with these places but I would think Upper Susquehanna School unlikely as it lacks many of the typical features. Bushkill is in the EAST so this is probably John.
Regardless, hope you will allow this fine gun to be placed in the ALR Museum.
Hurricane
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:48:29 AM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 05:31:06 AM »
Jim and Joel,
I do not know what it is or where it is from, but I do know what it is not.  It is not a Vogler and is not from North Carolina.  The Eagle patch box finial does remind you of their work but no other feature on the  rifle  
are Salem School, nor is the stock architecture.

Michael
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:21:07 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Loudy

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 06:47:42 AM »
Jim,
Below is what I have on the gunsmith John Edmonds that worked in Centre County, PA.  I believe he may have come to Centre County from Northampton County, PA sometime between 1850 and 1860.  I don't know enough about Northampton gun architechure to know if your rifle possess features that would be commonly seen on guns from that area. To me it does not look Upper Susquehanna.  Perhaps your rifle was made before John Edmonds set up shop in Centre County.  Nice rifle.  Thanks for posting the photos.
Mark Loudenslager

John Edmonds
Born:  1795 Pennsylvania
Died:  Unknown

John Edmonds worked as a gunsmith in Aaronsburg, Haines Township, Centre County circa 1861.  Before coming to Centre County he worked in Bushkill Center, Northampton County, Pennsylvania.  His father may have been John August Edmonds, a schlossfeiler (lock filer) in Plainfield and Bushkill Townships in Northampton County ca. 1792-1825.   
Ref. “Arms Makers of Pennyslvania” by James B. Whisker p. 80

1850 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Northampton County, Bushkill Township
John Edmonds, age 55, occupation “Gun Smith”, b. PA; Elizabeth, age 54; Jacob, age 19; Francis, age 18; Thomas, age 17; Lewis, age 16.
Note: The occupation’s of all four sons was given on the census record as “Segar Maker”.

1860 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Centre Co., Haines Twp., Woodward P.O., p. 2
Jno. Edmonds, age 65, occupation “Gun Smith”, b. PA; Ruth, age 69; Jane, age 5; Sampson Mingle, age 60.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 04:37:36 PM »
Thanks Mike for setting me straight on this one! When it comes to NC rifles YOU are the MAN! Sure is a pretty patch box eh!
Joel Hall

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 08:42:16 PM »
From Marks historical biographical information, it would appear that J Edmonds may be both John and Jacob ( from Sellers) ( one in the same??), migrating from Bushkill to Centre Co in or before 1861???? The architecture of the gun would appear to be more Northampton/ Allentown School. Perhaps he made this gun before 1861 in the east. Does anyone know whether he actually made guns in Centre Co ( he was 65) and adopted the Upper Susquehanna architecture?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:51:04 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »
Compliments of Jim Whisker

Edmonds, John August (1795-). gunsmith and schlossfeiler [lock filer]. 1792-1813, Plainfield Twp., Northamp­ton County; 1814-25, Bushkill Twp., Northampton County. 1850, Bushkill Twp., gunsmith, age 55; wife Elizabeth, 54; 4 sons who were cigar makers. 1860, Haines Twp., Centre County, Edmonds, 65, gun smith, born in PA; wife Ruth, 69  [Census; tax].1861, Aaronsburg, Centre County  [U.S. Census; Boyd's Pa. State Directory].

jimsjunk

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 03:32:20 PM »
Thats one thing I forgot to mention, this lock is signed edmonds warranted
Thank you
jim