Author Topic: Toe plate, patch box release question  (Read 6591 times)

Kline

Toe plate, patch box release question
« on: June 13, 2012, 07:31:20 PM »
This is the patch box release used by Andrew Kline. The release rod is concealed under the toe plate, which is flexible enough to push the rod, releasing the patch box lid. I was curious as to how many other gunsmiths, used this type of release. It seems as though most used a button if the release was in the toe plate.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Toe plate, patch box release question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 08:06:12 PM »
Interesting release mechanism on your Kline. Thank you posting the photo; looks like a good rifle, would you put up some more photos of the whole rifle? Would like very much to see it, as Klines are somewhat uncommon.
There are some variations on the toe plate release: One had the botton protruding through the toe plate, (probably the most common); there is the type you have; and there is a style similar to yours, but the upper end, toward the triggerguard, is not fixed and the rod is beneath that end. To open the box you push down on that end to engage the button. Many of this latter type seem to be weaker, and have broken over years of use.
There are also release mechanisms where the button protrudes from the top butt plate finial; there are those that have a latch type opener on the butt plate itself, by the lid; and there are some on which the button is located under a portion of the patch box finial, or the patch box side plates. Bedford County makers liked this and used it often.
There are others beyond this, some which have hidden buttons, screw heads, or a panel in the stock which opens the lid when depressed. Pretty ingenious folks those gun makers.
Hope this helps some-Dick 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 08:17:50 PM »
This is the patch box release used by Andrew Kline. The release rod is concealed under the toe plate, which is flexible enough to push the rod, releasing the patch box lid. I was curious as to how many other gunsmiths, used this type of release. It seems as though most used a button if the release was in the toe plate.

I have a iron mounted Virginia rifle with a similar made release. Photos are in the ALR library here:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4165.0

Photos of the release are close to the last of the batch. After all these years the release works perfectly and appears to be all original parts.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 08:47:10 PM »
I have a C Fordney that operates with a flexable toe plate like yours.

Actually, I have one other rifle that works that same way too,,,,, but darned if I can remember who the heck made it,,,,,,,  :P

John
John Robbins

firelock-inc

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »
I have a George W.Tryon Flintlock cc: 1837  50 Cal Rifle.
I seems to be a common practice

Kline

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 02:08:44 AM »
Thanks all, for your replies.

Dick, if you look in this forum, you will find post I did on Andrew Kline and Klinedinst, you will find more pictures of this rifle there.

Of the 6 patch boxed rifles that I am sure are Andrew Kline's work, all use this release. Five of these rifles are pictured in my earlier post and one is in Kindig's book under Andrew Klinedinst,page 321. The rifle on page 320 has a button. There is also a rifle on page 51 of Whiskers book" Gunsmith of York County, Pennsylvania" listed as Micheal Edwards' that but for the shape of the comb and trigger guard, looks like Andrew Klines "formula" and seems to use the same style release.

As I look at different York County  gunsmiths' work, and see influences of one maker in another's work and wonder how much interaction there was between gunsmiths. Anyway, just wondering if any other York county smiths used this release style.

Offline Herb

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 06:32:40 AM »
Jacob Wigle of Westmoreland County, PA used this kind of patchbox release.  I restored a rifle he built and here is my copy of his release.  The curved piece of brass laying on the stock fits over the push rod and the brass piece is turned over the inlet and the screw tightened.  Then when you push on the brass plate, it cams the left piece of brass against the right and pushes the rod to spring the catch.  You can see the patchbox hinge on the top right.
Herb

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 04:02:27 AM »
I have a J. Roop with such a release. It is in the museum. Here is a link.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7481.0

Offline wormey

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 03:19:06 PM »
I have a Tryon, Phidelphia rifle that is full stocked, originally flintlock ( now percussion) that has this type release.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »
I have a George Kopp rifle with this type release.