Author Topic: Unknown 120307-1  (Read 8596 times)

Offline nord

Unknown 120307-1
« on: May 01, 2012, 12:49:51 AM »
I have poured through H. Kauffman C. Kaufman, Kindig, Dillin and Sawyer.  The closest similarities of engraving style, that I could find, are the works of both M. & F. Fordney. 

I think that the reason for the long comb is really a short wrist.  It is a very small gun.  Only 56" long.  LOP is 12".  Weight is 6.5 lbs.  The trigger guard is 7.25" from the tip of the front tang to the tip of the rear tang. The guard opening measures 1.720" front to rear on the inside of the bow. The swamped barrel measures .835" at the breach, .750" at the waist and .820" at the muzzle.  The lock (J. Cooper) is 4.70" long and .900" high.  Patchbox is 6.560" long and is 2.450" wide where it meets the butt plate.  Wrist is 1.070" wide and is 1.250" high. The bore measures .440".

I guess that this is a long winded way of saying this is a very petite rifle.  It was first acquired by a family that settled in the Easton, PA area in 1738.  It has been passed down through the original owners family til this year when I acquired through a dealer.  I have the provenance and would share it privately if the family allows.   

===============================================================
Comments:

The 'Mystery Rifle!' does belong in the Library. While we don't have a clue as to the who or where of its origins, it is a commanding little gun. High quality prevails throughout and it is very attractive. Again, another one that would be hard to put back down on the table at a gun show.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although the maker remains unknown, this couldn't have been the only gun he made, so hopefully someday a signed gun will come along and put a makers name to this one as well.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 03:03:16 AM by Dennis Glazener »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.