Author Topic: front sight width..54.5 yr old eyes any suggestions?  (Read 20830 times)

Vomitus

Re: front sight width..54.5 yr old eyes any suggestions?
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »
  Jus hit the little spot in front of the ears! Very little meat loss,me thinks  ;D

Harnic

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 06:44:05 AM »

Harry, not trying to be anal with the first paragraph, just my thoughts on mixing the two.(maybe i am anal,lol) Try running 24" Apes on your new Yamaha! ;D

Lol!  No worries my friend!  I am content with the sights I have now on my flintlock, I'd just like to have matches open to any non-adjustable "iron" sights, peep or open.

As to the ape-hangers, NO WAY!  Give me a nice set of drag bars on a riser any day!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:45:16 AM by Harnic »

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 03:16:25 PM »
Found my happy load for this barrel...

35 gr fff swiss
.024 cotton duct patch(Johannes fabric's)
.395 hc rb
hoppe's lube

40 yards benched.   1.75 black dot..able to keep front sight inside dot.
wood chucks do not like this barrel...

Daryl

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 05:31:13 PM »
Looks like you found a solution.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
Are wood chucks good to eat?

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2012, 05:44:45 AM »
Looks like you found a solution.
==============================================================
so far the combination of a 1.75 dot and a smaller peep..are making a difference....still not done working on this issue
Can't tell you guy's how much the advice given is appreciated..Thanks!.

leatherman

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 05:42:44 AM »
I just got a pair of Randolph shooting glass's made and received them last week. I wear progressive lens glasses and have a really tuff time shooting open sights so I talked to Randolph about it . What they did was make the left lens with my focal point at a far distance and the right lens with my focal point where my front and back sights are in focus. Now When I sight with both eyes open every thing comes pretty close in focus for me especially the sights. I feel like I am 20 again. The glasses take a little getting used to when wearing them for normal use I think your brain needs to adjust to having to use the left eye for distance and the right eye for closer say out to 10 feet but if it is just target shooting they really work well. For those who wear glasses you might want to get a pair made up this way. You just need to explain it to your pediatrist or check out Randolph shooting glasses. I told my pediatrist what I needed my prescription for and he tried to talk me out of it, saying it would not work and all I needed was my regular prescription. He was wrong. If you talk to Randolph or another shooting glasses company, be sure to explain what you are wanting them for as shooting a shotgun is different than shooting open sights on a rifle and barrel length also has a factor. They need al the information. Randolph even put a reader lens in the bottom for my really close up work .  Now I cant wait for squirrel hunting again with my 40 cal. longrifle.

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 04:04:15 AM »
When I was a kid living in Ontario- I ate a number of chucks - generaly the young ones. Had a 'wild game' ook book (from '66 through '72), so maybe there's one on-line?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:39:44 AM by Daryl »

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 06:12:47 AM »

Are wood chucks good to eat?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Can't see why not they are vegetarians

Just can't seem to find the urge???

These chucks under mine the footings of the hunting shack,,Only guilty ones are removed.
Saw a big male kill a kit in mid summer...screamed like a dying rabbit.. Dam-dist thing to see???

Daryl

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 06:55:18 AM »
Hoary marmots are even better than young chucks.  Like ground hogs, the marmots are 100% vegetarian. The ground squirrels (gophers), ie: black tailed PD's, Columbian Ground Squirrels, Beldings and Richardsons and one other I can't remember, do eat each other.  Make your own decisions. A feed of ground squirrel (high protein) kicks the females back into estrus, according to my two  Bachelor of Science Degree kids.

"Oh Brother Where Art Thou" be darned, my name's not Everet and I will not eat a gopher (ground squirrel) either.(he declined as do I)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 04:40:19 PM by Daryl »

dagner

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »
 bigger target  bigger front and rear sight .. move rear sight down barrel  old age sucks just have to make the best of it . first of all go to a good eye specialkist and have him check you out. quite a few of my friends had correctable problems all the way to 72 years old and can see golf balls on green at 175 yards. i have to use a diopter fully closed on knoblock shooting glasses with perscription lenses to even see a  front sight now .scared retnias not fixable and common.another trick is your eye ducts close use eye drops . just do what ever will keep you shooting
dag

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 05:04:06 AM »
Filed the rear sight wider and deeper shooting to day..more light helped.....54 cal flint..shooting 2 x4's on edge.....

before....

7-6-7 score the sevens were due to a miss kindof..put ball in same hole :'(
after..
awesome day to shoot!

dagner

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2012, 10:20:30 AM »
 went to a chunk shoot in  xenia .could not shoot match could not see front sight. mascular degeneration changed eye by 20%  luckily a new lens brought most of it back.  the doctor showed me a trick he put a yellow filter over the lens after the best he could do and it gave me a ton more definition could see much better than with a plain lens.his also had the anti glare .we walked outside and he had me look at Wall mart sign across the highway  and some highway signs. very bright day. man could you see so much better with all the glare gone and the yellow adding wire definition to the colors.  hope this helps ..did for me   do not try to shoot in lineless bifocals. your shoot glasses can have a small bifocal at bottom but all the rest of lens must be the same
dag

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 02:41:55 AM »
You guys are all barking' up the wrong tree. You don't need wacko wierdo sights. You need a new eye doctor. Mine told me to bring my rifle in, and he would build my trifocals to work with the barrel length of my gun. Works like a champ. And I just love the looks on the receptionists face when I walk through the door with that old southern mountain rifle.

Hungry Horse

Daryl

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 04:47:28 PM »
As to glasses helping, that all depends on your individual problem, doesn't it.  With a lense (bottom of my bifocals) that allows me to see the sigths, I cannot make out ANY detail on a target - barely it's shape and past 50yards, it's a complete burrout - so, I use my distance lenses, have fuzzy sigths and still win - sometimes.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 09:25:31 PM »
I  took the opposite approach and wanted the target a bit fuzzy and the sights clearly visible. To get everything you want you would probably need laser surgery and glasses. I don't shoot paper much, clangers are a lot more forgiving. TTYL.

Hungry Horse

flintlock

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 03:24:51 AM »
Well, you're supposed to be focusing your eye on the front sight, not the target. If the front sight is sharp, the target will necessarily be a bit fuzzy… unless, of course, you use a peep rear sight (or aperture of some kind). 

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 02:29:19 PM »
I modified my rear sight to a variation of Daryl's but I keep the "V" slightly narrower with a very short horizontal profile on each edge. My front sight is a .08 silver blade with the top .08 cut a 45 degrees and the bottom half 45 degrees the other way to create a visual .08 square on a dark post.

Seems to work for me, FOR NOW!

Offline heelerau

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 03:35:17 PM »
Funny, I spoke to my eye doctor the other day, she has helped several shooters with their eyes, she even suggested they bring in their rifles to help out with sorting out the glasses, I found out by accidentally asking here iffen I could bring in my longrifle, at this stage I don't need glasses for shooting. I just wanted to find out what she could do for me for when I can no longer see iron sights.  Bugger getting old, but the alternatives is worse !!

cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

dagner

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 07:14:11 AM »
 my first eye doc fliped out when wanted to bring gun in   plain no-- searched around and cxame up with a doc that shoots and does shooters. like the other guys. ask around the gun clubs especially if you a hve a competetive pistol  match  or benchrest club . may have to travel a little but well worth if
dag

wet willy

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2012, 03:45:38 AM »
Most bullseye shooters, rifle and pistol, want the front sight as clear and crisp as possible. The target can be a bit fuzzy and still produce excellent results. That's with a target at a known distance, a black bullseye against a white background ... plus the target doesn't move. The target number board may be fuzzy at 600 yds or 1000 yds but still clear enough to shoot on the correct target.

A hunting situation is different in that you need to clearly see the game, at least well enough to know what it is! The instructional diagrams  show the rear sight, front sight, and target all in sharp focus. Few people have eyes that have a depth of field from 30" at the front sight to 21,600" at 600 yards. You might surprise yourself at how well you can hit a fuzzy target with a somewhat fuzzy rear sight but a sharp, crisp front sight.

FWIW. as some previous posts have noted, my optometrist allowed me to bring my rifle to his office. 

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2012, 04:02:13 AM »
Thank you all for the input on sights etc....

clover leafing at 50 yards

Here's the way I went....

rifle upgrade..36 cal. flint......

I'm thinking squirrel stew!... ;D

Daryl

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2012, 05:45:52 PM »
Excellent.  It's very close to my favourite design- with a fine bead front, 45 degree back slant to grab the light in the bush - or felt pen or sight-black for shiny targets in the sun.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2012, 05:41:39 AM »
Is that a wide v notch in front of a narrow slot on the same rear sight or am I looking at the picture wrong?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Daryl

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2012, 06:20:45 AM »
Looks to me to be a bit of design ripples in the top of the base, ahead of the V notch.