Author Topic: Removing Tape Adhesive From Brass  (Read 9868 times)

Offline Bill-52

Removing Tape Adhesive From Brass
« on: April 29, 2012, 07:07:25 PM »
I recently acquired a powder horn with the owner's name and date engraved on the brass plug.  Unfortunately, someone many years ago applied a 1/2" square piece of adhesive tape (a bandaid?) to the brass plug on which to write, in ballpoint pen, a reference number.

I'm looking for advice on how to remove the dried out adhesive without damaging the patina?  Since the tape was applied in modern times, I assume there will be patina underneath, at least to some degree.  If that is not the case, any recommendations on darkening that area?

Thanks,
Bill

Moderators, if this is not the appropriate forum for this, please move.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:09:31 PM by Bill-52 »

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Removing Tape Adhesive From Brass
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 07:48:09 PM »
Bill,
I've had good luck with lighter fluid and some stuff named Goof-off. It will take the patina off wood, but doesn't seem to remove anything but adhesive on metal, brass parts.
I put it on, let it set for a couple minutes, then wipe it off when the old adhesive has softened.

Try a small area on the brass with a q-tip to test it first.

John
John Robbins

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
In fitting up modern shotguns over the years, I have used electrical tape and other adhesives for temporary changes for students. Some of these were left on for years.
The least offensive and most readily available remover I found for removal of adhesive for me has been good old WD-40

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:06 AM »
Bill,WD-40 is good in that it will do no harm in most cases.  I have some medical remover, which is safe for bare skin.  If you pm me with an address I'll send you some packets.  It works well on all adhesives.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline debnal

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:06:27 AM »
Great information. Will WD-40 work on old scotch tape that has been applied to a wooden stock? I'd like to get the tape off without damging the patina.
Thank,
Al

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 03:00:46 AM »
WD-40 works well on just about any adhesive.  If the wood has some finish, and is not bare, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't leave it on too long.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 03:08:34 AM »
WD-40 also works well on dulling down bright brass. It takes a while but knocks down the shine.  JIM
JIM

oakridge

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 03:21:38 AM »
Good thread. I've had the same question, but keep forgetting to ask. I have an old rifle that had a chunk broken out of the wrist below the tang. Someone wrapped the wrist in masking tape to keep from losing the piece until it could be repaired. I tried to peel it off, to no avail. That tape is almost petrified. I'll try soaking it with WD-40. Maybe I can do that and save the finish.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 03:27:00 AM »
Bill, I'd sure like to see some pictures of your powder horn after you clean off the old tape! ;)
Joel Hall

mkeen

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 07:25:56 PM »
Bill,
I've had good luck with lighter fluid and some stuff named Goof-off. It will take the patina off wood, but doesn't seem to remove anything but adhesive on metal, brass parts.
I put it on, let it set for a couple minutes, then wipe it off when the old adhesive has softened.

Try a small area on the brass with a q-tip to test it first.

John

I think the product John has in mind is Goo Gone. It works great on removing adhesives. I've even used it on old books (early 1800 and late 1700) that had been taped with Scotch tape a long time ago. Although it appears to stain the paper it will dissipate over time and will totally disappear. Try some on other tarnished brass and see if the rubbing removes too much patina.

Martin

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 08:53:13 PM »
Yeah yeah, Goo Gone! That's the stuff, and it works great!
Thanks Martin!
John  :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:53:59 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 01:54:07 AM »
Thanks for all the recommendations for removing the dried on tape adhesive from the old brass.  I've already figured out which pieces of tarnished brass in the house I'll use to test the different suggestions.  Probably won't get around to it until this weekend but I'll post the results.

Thanks again,
Bill

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »
Just to follow-up, I tried the various recommendations on some tarnished brass around the house.  I applied and removed everything with Q-tips.  All (Goo Gone, WD-40, etc.) preserved the patina on the brass as long as it was applied sparingly and not rubbed too vigorously.  However, when actually removing the tape residue from the brass butt plug (on a very small area), it seemed the Goo Gone required less rubbing so I went with that and it worked!

Thanks again everyone for the help and advice.  And thanks, Bill, for the medical wipes.

Bill

PS, just reread this thread, I did not test the lighter fluid as I thought that might be too harsh.

oakridge

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 08:42:57 PM »
Looking in a cabinet, I see that I have a can of OOPS! "The All Purpose Remover". Says it removes dried latex paint, tar, lipstick, crayons, gum, ink, adhesive residue, oil, magic marker and grease. It's color fast, fabric safe and has little or no effect on oil based paints, varnishes, lacquers and shellac. I haven't tried it, so I can't recommend it.

SROG

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 07:07:33 PM »
I have small spout cans with various liquids.  Ballistol is exceptional for removing many things on wood.  Have not tried it on horn.  Patina can be tricky stuff indeed.  I also keep Kroil, mineral oil, LPS 1, vinegar and muriatic ( last 2 in plastic ) for various needs.