Author Topic: Leather........  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Gaeckle

Leather........
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:57:13 AM »
On occasion I see some very interesting bags that look as though the leather is very old. The leather itself appears bruised, frayed and has that worn appearence as though it has been carried forquite some timeand has an occasional mend here or there.

What techniques, if any, are used to give leather this subtle and distinguished look?

Dancy

Re: Leather........
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
I would suggest TC Albert's book, he has some suggested methods in there.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 03:39:26 AM »
As summer approaches, hire some kid who still roams around like most of us did to carry it all summer and get it beat up to the level you seek. Or do the same with a Boy Scout camp staff member whose job is to beat the bush all of the camp season. But take a picture after each week's use to document how quickly it gets to various stages of distress.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 04:00:45 AM »
Trent, I can vouch for the Scouting method. I've been an adult scouter for almost twenty years. Boys can put more miles  on equipment in a short time than anything I have ever seen.

Hungry Horse

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:29:56 AM »
along with Tim's book here's some good starting points

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/aging-leather-zurl.jpg
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

ROSIE

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »
I like to put the wear on a bag myself.Just use it all of the time and don't treat it like it's made of glass. I think it adds character when you do it yourself over time.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 06:27:42 PM »
Maybe rub it with some granite stones and raise the nap a little bit, just an idea.  Powder monkies are a better option as you don't have to look at the destruction until it is finished.