Author Topic: Building a Derringer  (Read 22305 times)

Offline runastav

Building a Derringer
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »
Hi Folks!
When I open page #6 in MUZZLELOADER nov/des 2011 and saw L&R Lock Company have new set of parts to build a medium size derringer pistol i think I MUST have :)
So now I am start on my pistol, use scaled up photos have no gun to copy. Someone here so have build from the set?I will use Euroean beech in stock, and have a bit barrel GM cal 45 from the duellpistol
Runar

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Building a Derringer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:00:07 PM »
You can't fool me, those are PAPER guns.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

J.Cundiff

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:47:37 PM »
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

MarkEngraver

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 09:48:18 PM »
This ought'a be fun to watch !

Go Runar !

Been looking at that L&R" bag'o goodies" myself.
Mark

Offline runastav

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
Hi Folks!
Thank you guys!
You can't fool me, those are PAPER guns.
Hahaha, many Politicians dream :(
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Me no komprend ??????

Ok, breechplug in plase and the barrel tapered and ends up ca 2-1/2" lengd looks ok so far I think
Runar

J.Cundiff

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 01:28:33 PM »
I was just laughing at Acer's joke about the paper guns is all. :)

The gun is looking fantastic! You do seriously good work!

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 10:09:30 PM »
Looks like you are all set. Here is a fairly early Deringer I got from the late C.W. Slagle

4-1/8” barrel + 13/16” breech (5” overall),  .44 cal.    seven- groove rifling, marked J.P. LOWER on top flat.  DERINGER PHILA on lock and on breech. No “P” on breech. Period repair with German silver plate. An old west belt size or coat pistol”. Circa 1832 – 1836 by sideplate, per article in Monthly Bugle No. 390, April 2002. I can take more photos or measurements if you would like.

raszpla

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 10:24:25 PM »
I'm glad that I saw your work Runastav,I was afraid that you zamarzłeś the north  :)

greetings

Offline runastav

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 10:59:58 AM »
Hi Folks!
I was just laughing at Acer's joke about the paper guns is all. :)

The gun is looking fantastic! You do seriously good work!

Ok, thank you :)
Looks like you are all set. Here is a fairly early Deringer I got from the late C.W. Slagle

4-1/8” barrel + 13/16” breech (5” overall),  .44 cal.    seven- groove rifling, marked J.P. LOWER on top flat.  DERINGER PHILA on lock and on breech. No “P” on breech. Period repair with German silver plate. An old west belt size or coat pistol”. Circa 1832 – 1836 by sideplate, per article in Monthly Bugle No. 390, April 2002. I can take more photos or measurements if you would like.
Nice Deringer JCKelly! I have already cut the stockprofile as you can see on photos. But inside lock photos is alvays interesting :)
I'm glad that I saw your work Runastav,I was afraid that you zamarzłeś the north  :)

greetings
Relaq raszpla, and thank you!
The barreltang and barrel ready for stock

Lockplate, Derringer is FUN to build and the parts is of top quality ;)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 06:52:49 PM »
Runastav:  I have a neat little Deringer made by Uberti.  Here are some images from a builder's point of view that I hope will be of interest to you and may help you with the fine tuning of the shaping process.  I have more, and can take pics of any angle that you wish.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 09:41:22 PM »
Runastav; Thanks for posting your Dueling pistol build. I followed each step you shared to the completion. This current build, Deringer I'm sure I and others will find just as informative as the other pistol build. Relaxing part of my day to check in and see the latest update. Thanks, AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 11:13:33 PM »
I can't believe that Pedersoli is selling one now for over $500 and it appears to be the same one that CVA sold in the 70's as a kit for $19.95.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 03:39:04 PM »
Looking at the Pedersoli pictures, my reaction is "I have to get one", looking at the CVA on Auction Arms," what a piece of junk"
Fred
No insult intended T*O*F
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 05:15:20 PM »
The Pedersoli Taylor shows is quite well made - I was impressed which really doesn't mean much here - but I've seen & recognised the poorly made 'junk' guns as well.  If the Ped' wasn't at least moderatly well done, Taylor wouldn't have taken the time to photo it and show it here.

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
Daryl, mine is not a Pedersoli.  It's a A. Uberti serial #12 and sold in 1976 in a walnut case c/w accessories for $800 CDN.  Calibre .41.

I bought one of those kits from TOW and was so disappointed with the quality, I sent it back.  They were not pleased.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:52:08 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
This little pocket surprise looks like the originals we have in the Huntington Museum of Art. They are a matched pair in super condition.
I wouldn't make the lock for what you ask for the gun.

Bob Roller

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »
Sorry, my mistake, Taylor, and .41cal. is what Booth used.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:21:06 PM by Daryl »

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »
Here's a series of pics of the lock on my pistol.  It is a real piece of work...you'd like it Bob.  It functions much like one of yours.
No problem Daryl.  I just wanted to clarify so that Pedersoli didn't get credit for someone else's work, and someone ordering one of Pedersoli's pistols wan't disillusioned after seeing Uberti's work.

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 09:29:50 PM »
Taylor,
 Neat looking little lock for sure. I never did develop any kind of tooling or even simple drill fixtures for the back action locks. I once had a Holland&Holland double rifle in .303 British that had an exquisite pair of them made by Brazier in London. There is one known Hawken rifle with a back action lock and a fine single set trigger. I saw it at Friendship over 30 years ago.
  I got a real good report from my Urologist and he said he didn't want to see me again for a year so I have decided to make a few more locks beginning with a close copy of a Rigby caplock for a long range rifle. This will be the second one of these odd looking locks I have made,Jim McLemore has the first, Dan Phariss used one of his barrels to win 8 of 10 matches recently. I have the plate shaped and the 4 pin bridle done and am now making the screws and maybe the link for the mainspring.
Thanks for posting the little "Ruckliegendschloss".

Bob Roller

Offline runastav

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »
Hi Folks!
And thank you all :) Tayler, yes this is the model I scaled up thank you for photos and you may take more details of but, sights, frontcap and butcap etc.
The lock is now full inletted, triggerplate also. I plug hole in trigger and lift it higher much better I think. The triggergard was to big, so I is beginning make a new one ;)
Runar

New triggergard :)

Plugged and raised trigger

Locks OK so far?

Offline runastav

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 11:35:29 AM »
Hi Folks!
My wife donate me a old brass lampfoot, plenty triggergards etc in this one ;) So the triggergard is done.
Runar

Offline heinz

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 02:09:05 PM »
Nicely done!
kind regards, heinz

Offline runastav

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »
Hi folks, and thank you heinz!
Sideplate and Thumbpiece in its plase, see the nice little hardmetal scraper I buddy gave me it is good from steel to wood ;)
Runar

Offline multifasciatus

• Starting Member
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »
Hi

Nice work Runastav,fun to watch.
 ;)

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 04:32:36 AM »
I am simply amazed! That's so cool!