Author Topic: Micro Bed Question  (Read 4233 times)

Offline QuanLoi

Micro Bed Question
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:17:52 PM »
I have a couple of old tubes of Micro-Bed left over from the '90's that I would like to use.  What would be the appropriate release agent?   As I understand it, the company that produced this product is no longer in business, and that's too bad... it was a good product for bedding and filling in the odd gaps.  What would be a good alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Faletti

Re: Micro Bed Question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:42:23 PM »
If its that old I wouldn't use it.  Acraglas Gel is what I have used the most.  The release agent that comes with it works well. I always have extra release agent left over and it keeps well so I haven't had to use others.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 11:48:20 PM »
For the longrifle, a good alternative is to use nothing.  If you feel the need to use this sort of stuff, acraglass from Brownells is an alternative.

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:08:36 AM »
Micro Bed was good stuff. I still use what little I have left. If the one tube gets hard, hold under a hot water faucet. I use paste wax as a release agent. Of coarse ideally, a person should not need to use the stuff, but , every thing never goes as planned. When and if I need something after the MB is gone, Acraglas gets my vote.  JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 02:37:51 AM »
Liquid car wax will work....

Ed
Ed Wenger

sweetbyandby

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 02:38:27 AM »
Johnsons paste wax works well. Keep it room temp. and apply with a small brush.  Buchers paste wax does the same thing. Used to work at R.W.Hart and Son and did many bedding jobs and the wax worked very well.

Offline kutter

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »
Used up the last of mine a couple years ago. Good stuff.
I always used an old discarded bottle of  Turtle Wax for release agent.
They both ran out about the same time!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 06:10:41 AM »
I have a couple of old tubes of Micro-Bed left over from the '90's that I would like to use.  What would be the appropriate release agent?   As I understand it, the company that produced this product is no longer in business, and that's too bad... it was a good product for bedding and filling in the odd gaps.  What would be a good alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Use paste floor wax as a release.
Micro-bed was standard bedding compound at a place I used to work. My wife, who worked there too, has used more of it than everyone here combined I expect. I used Acra-Glas gel I bought myself since I was a contrator. It can be dyed any color you want and is a better product it will set hard.
Some batches of Micro-Bed were too rubbery when set to be good for much.
I would mix a small batch as a test before using the stuff. If it will set hard overnight go for it.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

g rummell

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:59:20 PM »
Turtle Wax Paste works well.