Author Topic: Hearing protection  (Read 4649 times)

billd

Hearing protection
« on: May 09, 2012, 04:49:32 AM »
Maybe not PC/HC but necessary.......Anyone use electronic muffs for hearing protection at the range?  There's many models out the with a wide price range.   Any recommendations that I  don't have to take a second mortgage to afford?

Thanks,
Bill

Online smylee grouch

Re: Hearing protection
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:59:48 AM »
I have three different brands ranging in price from $300 to $39.95 and they all work great. Its nice to be able to hear range officers and other conversation yet still shut out anything damaging. I have tinenites already so have to protect what I have left.    Smylee

MJDeWald

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 05:35:04 AM »
I have an inexpensive pair , cost about $35.00. i wear them for all my shooting from blackpowder to handgun in the indoor range. They have worked very well for me.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 06:14:24 AM »
I have 2 sets.  The cheapest doesn't amplify much if any so when I double up using molded plugs and the emuffs . . well we get by.  Doubling is needed indoor and when outdoor range has m4 short barrels and even 50 BMG on it.

The newer $59.95 pair amplifies enough that I am also considering for hunting as could use the ability to hear a squirrel lick his nuts.  Wish there had been a way to compare and I would have bought these first and only.

Both are hot and uncomvortabel in the Texas heat.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »
how bout some brand and model names?

I bought a pair of Zem (sealed air tube) ear plugs when NRA started selling them, Work pretty good very light and comfortable and it doesn't drown out voices. Bought the newer Model 35 (I think) from Zem supposed to be better but don't work as good as the older cheaper ones.

billd

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 03:33:17 PM »
Yes,   how about some brand or model names.   One well know shooting supply house has 132 different models.

Thanks again,
Bill

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »
Maybe not PC/HC but necessary.......Anyone use electronic muffs for hearing protection at the range?  There's many models out the with a wide price range.   Any recommendations that I  don't have to take a second mortgage to afford?

Thanks,
Bill

I like them but the switches get turned on too easy and kill the batteries.
I bought mine from Cabelas about 90 bucks IIRC.
Maybe less ;D
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Shooting-Accessories/Hearing-Protection-Enhancement|/pc/104792580/c/104769180/sc/104381280/Peltor-Tactical-6-Stereo-Long-Ear-Hearing-Device/706764.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-shooting-accessories-hearing-protection-enhancement%2F_%2FN-1100232%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104381280%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104792580%253Bcat104769180&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104792580%3Bcat104769180%3Bcat104381280

Mine are made in Europe .
Have to pull the pads to put in batteries but seem to work as advertised.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »
For M/L's those foam ear plugs work for me as long as I'm out in the open and not under the shed roof. Sometimes when the boys are home and want to shoot center fires I use Peltor muffs that can be turned on or left off They work great! I wish I'd had something like that years ago. My most often used word these days is, "What"!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 07:01:48 PM »
When I'm at the range I don't like to talk but I also don't like to be rude if others are there.  I never bought a pair of electronic muffs partly due partly to cost and partly to decibel ratings.  I have two regular pairs and the one I use has a high decibel rating.  Being a bit OCD I wear a pair of plugs AND the muffs.  I can't hear conversation well but the sound of gunfire is muffled quite well.  I have a profound hearing loss at a specific frequency but otherwise mostly normal.  I say "normal" though I, too, have significant tinnitus and can't follow conversation very well, say, in restaurants where there is background conversation/music. 

I don't usually wear hearing protection in the woods since I can hear animal sounds quite well and only one shot is often fired.  I use to hunt deer with handguns and would wear a set of Sonic Ear Valves, which I still have.  I could still hear woods sounds and the blast of magnum rounds was well muffled.

The report of muzzleloaders is interesting; not as sharp as smokeless rounds or as disturbing to the ear.  Yet in a confined space - a room, for instance - black powder has a concussive force that can be felt, unlike smokeless. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Naphtali

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 07:15:46 PM »

Thanks,
Bill
Slightly altering the question toward protection less obtrusive: Can anyone suggestion on-ear or, better, in-ear hearing protection that compares favorably with [recommended] ear muffs? I presently use solid ear plugs when hunting, non-electric ear muffs over my solid plugs when at the range. I know for sure I have missed game opportunities because I rely only on sight when hunting. This past season three whitetail walked past me within 30 yards in an open field because I was looking in a different direction. "How do I know this?" you might ask. One of my hunting partners killed two of them. He had waited nearly 10 minutes before shooting because they were so close to me.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 07:38:09 PM »
The most expensive pair that I have are called Pro Ears and they really work great. You have to do as Dan does and remove foam inside of muffs to replace batteries. Many years ago I used a pair of ear plugs inside of non electronic muffs butt could not hear when some one told me that my ramrod was still in the barrel and it sure hurt when that one went off. Never did find the ramrod.    Smylee

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »
I have a cheap pair of electronics for the range- wherein the foams must be removed to change the batteries and have a turning switch with variable magnification of sound - although only allow normal talking and hearing, slightly amplified on hearing. Caldwell brand, however I thought Caldwell was merely a distributor here in Canada- who also brand rests, etc.

On the trail walk, I don't wear protection, although I should and all or most of  the other guys wear the compressible and expandible plugs used and sold for factory workers.  I cannot wear plugs due to a wierd ear channel on the right side.  I should get customs made. 

When hunting I don't wear protection, except now when shooting with modern ctgs., in which case I wear the electronic muffs - sometimes when I don't forget them.  They cost me something like $54.95 a year or more ago and have worked well for me.

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 11:04:29 PM »
I use a set of Leight Impact model muffs for use at the range.   They cost about $60 these days, I think.   For primitive events, like woods walks, I use a set of molded plugs from a do-it-yourself kit from Cabelas.