Author Topic: Powder Horn On Ebay  (Read 12914 times)

Offline Levi Garrett

• Starting Member
Powder Horn On Ebay
« on: May 12, 2012, 04:09:22 AM »
Has anyone looked at this horn on ebay? I just wanted some thoughts on it. I think I might spend way too much time looking at things on the net! Thanks, RLG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANOUTSTANDING-AMERICAN-CAMEO-HAND-DECORATED-POWDER-HORN-ONE-OF-THE-FINEST-/290711085521?pt=Folk_Art&hash=item43afbb21d1

Online G. Elsenbeck

Re: Powder Horn On Ebay
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 05:02:49 AM »
The horn is a fake!  It is made by either Terry or Todd in Long Island that put these on ebay all the time.  I have a huge file of their so called old horns.  This guy, turbodan is located in Pennsylvania and passes them off as original antiques that is a favorite buyer of Twinsdeal or Timebandit.  All you have to go is see for yourself.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=twinsdeal&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

Go down the list and see how many fakes he's buying from this guy.  Be sure to click on the negative feedback.  I have listings going back.  DO NOT trust what they say, they only want your money and the horns are $#@*.  You owe yourself by getting another second and third opinion.
The guys in Long Island are the typical NY street hustlers looking for all your money.  They aren't even good horners.  However, when they add patina they add way too much and neither one of them has a sense what makes a good horn.  Sadly, one of them isn't a bad engraver, just uses crappy horns.  Their favorite thing to do is get a hold of a powder horn already made just like you get at say Cabelas (Muslim or Hindu made), rework them terribly and put them on ebay saying they got them from an estate sale.  Geez, doesn't everyone :D :D.  They know that if they told everyone they make or redo all the horns no one in their mind would buy them.  :D :D :D
Good luck in your search.  If you want more info, etc on these guys send me a pm.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Online G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 05:06:00 AM »
And wow, turbodan even paid $328 for this horn.  Looks good, but I do not trust the guy he bought it from and I hope he loses his shirt. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 06:55:48 AM »
A big flub on this horn is the Federal eagle shown which came into use after the ratification of the US Constitution. These guys always make some error and you can usually find it if you look long enough. Did you say that this one was from the famed Long Island School? The eagle holds the federal shield, used after 1800, during and in the so called Federal Period. This motif is common on Tansel horns and one wonders if the carver of this horn had seen Tansel's work and thought it would look good on this so called, '1700s' piece. Only thing is that the Tansel's could really carve. This is just my take on it anyway, and buy at your own risk!
Dick      

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 12:42:49 PM »
I would imagine a real bonafide horn from 1750s would be priced on up in the 1000s of $. Probably wouldn't show up on "EBay" either.
Eric Smith

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
E. As a matter of fact some great original horns have shown up on e-bay. Hard to believe, I know, but some people have purchased fine York County screw tip horns, and even honest carved pieces. These probably could be said to be pitifully few in number when compared with the total offered. Still, it pays to watch and see what comes by there. Purchase cautiously.
Dick

RoaringBull

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 08:25:16 PM »
I sent the fella a message asking about the Eagle being from around the early 1800's and this is the reply that I received...

Hello,..And thanks for that great question,...The Spread Winged Eagle goes back to a little before 1750,but was more prominent around the Rev. War,..and into the Civil War,..The Full Shield Crest is also later ,but the Striped Crest is seen in the mid 1700's,..The earliest Horn I have ever owned ,was dated 1725,and was American..Profile Eagle,...Thanks again,..John

Online G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 12:22:06 AM »
I sent the fella a message asking about the Eagle being from around the early 1800's and this is the reply that I received...

Hello,..And thanks for that great question,...The Spread Winged Eagle goes back to a little before 1750,but was more prominent around the Rev. War,..and into the Civil War,..The Full Shield Crest is also later ,but the Striped Crest is seen in the mid 1700's,..The earliest Horn I have ever owned ,was dated 1725,and was American..Profile Eagle,...Thanks again,..John

If everyone actually believe the bs coming from a seller without corroboration, then the buyer has no clue as what is true or not.  That and not further challengeing the person that wants all your money to prove his statements.  Prominent eagles didn't really start to show up as folk art on horns until about the time Tansel did it at and after ther war of 1812.  The clown saying earliest is 1725?, show me, point into that direction.  Remember this seller is in bed with twinsdeals and timebandit.  Ask a prominent horner, ask a master horner, pose a question to the Horn guild, but don't rely on the seller.  Good grief.

RoaringBull

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 12:58:28 AM »
Absolutely...I just wanted to see what the idiot would say!

smorrison

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 06:52:57 AM »
Hmmm, an original horn stained with RIT yellow and brown, engrailing done with a wood burner tool, engraving with a point scriber (not a knife) and the staple in the base appears to be just that - a fence staple.   ::)

Scott M

Black Hand

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 06:18:51 PM »
Has anyone looked at this horn on ebay? I just wanted some thoughts on it. I think I might spend way too much time looking at things on the net! Thanks, RLG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANOUTSTANDING-AMERICAN-CAMEO-HAND-DECORATED-POWDER-HORN-ONE-OF-THE-FINEST-/290711085521?pt=Folk_Art&hash=item43afbb21d1

If that is an original horn, then I'd better start believing in UFOs too.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »
People keep buying his junk.............guy's got quite a business going..........probably sending a kid to law school.............

Offline JDK

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 05:26:18 AM »
SOLD....... $495+$19.85 S&H......OUCH!!!

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 11:30:28 PM »
This would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 12:51:27 AM »
Good reason to join the HCH, lots of education on just this type of miss representation in the horn working community? also devalues honest contemporary work, not to mention originals??
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 05:35:37 PM »
Hmmm, an original horn stained with RIT yellow and brown, engrailing done with a wood burner tool, engraving with a point scriber (not a knife) and the staple in the base appears to be just that - a fence staple.   ::)

Scott M

That staple appears to have a bit of the zinc coating still on it. I have to ask, though: How can you tell it was engraved with a scriber and not a knife?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

omark

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 07:40:30 PM »
dont believe in u f o's ??? i see stuff in the air all the time i cant identify.   yee of little faith.    ;)    mark

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »

Scott M

That staple appears to have a bit of the zinc coating still on it. I have to ask, though: How can you tell it was engraved with a scriber and not a knife?

Scribers will drag and kick up little imperfections. A knife will cut and leave furrows. It can be seen when the scriber is dragged across the grain. A knife will cut across the grain and produce a cleaner, smoother line, the scriber will be ragged.....

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 05:53:51 PM »

Scott M

Scribers will drag and kick up little imperfections. A knife will cut and leave furrows. It can be seen when the scriber is dragged across the grain. A knife will cut across the grain and produce a cleaner, smoother line, the scriber will be ragged.....

Good to know. Thanks.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

smorrison

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 07:02:40 AM »
Thanks Gaeckle, that is exactly what a scriber will do.  If you examine the fine engraving done on original horns, you can see that more often than not it was done with knives.

Scott M

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »
Thanks Gaeckle, that is exactly what a scriber will do.  If you examine the fine engraving done on original horns, you can see that more often than not it was done with knives.

Scott M

Correct.....most all men had a knife with him, be it small or large. A scriber, I believe, was not had by everybody.......

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 02:39:17 AM »
From what I have read people have been making spare change faking Colonial era items since at LEAST the 1930s. Everything is suspect, corn boilers to rifles. Stuff on Ebay or Gun auction sites especially so.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 02:44:31 AM »

Scott M

Correct.....most all men had a knife with him, be it small or large. A scriber, I believe, was not had by everybody.......

A small, pointed knife is faster, I think, than about anything. But I am not very experienced in this.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine