Author Topic: Question on Berks Co Profile #28 RCA - W. Haga  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Question on Berks Co Profile #28 RCA - W. Haga
« on: May 12, 2012, 10:00:22 PM »
This is a question for anyone who ever altered a profile of a buttstock. I had RCA #28 photocopied and enlarged to the actual dimensions listed in the book. The buttplate on the new photo measures 4 3/8". The lockplate measures 5 1/4". This gun is attributed to W Haga. I got a Goehring #8 buttpate. It measures 4 3/4". Two ways to go here I think. I can file the buttplate to match the original ( I'm not really trying to make a copy of that gun identical, cause I hate the patchbox, just trying to work up a profile for a Berks/Haga). Or I cam play with the profile a little bit and maybe lower the bottom profile 3/8". I did that on a drawing and it did not look to bad. Should split the difference and add 3/16" to the top and bottom of the profile? What would you do if you were tinkering with it. Like I say, not shooting for an exact copy of #28. I'll probably use a different patchbox design. When I get this set just right I'm going to transfer it to plexiglass for a Berks Pattern. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:01:05 PM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
Re: Question on Berks Co Profile #28 RCA - W. Haga
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 10:42:43 PM »
My first question is, how do the dimensions of #28 fit you? 

If the answer is "great," I'd suggest you adjust the buttplate to fit the profile. 

If the answer is "not so well," I'd suggest you adjust the profile to fit you better and then make the decision on the buttplate, reducing it if necessary to fit the profile.

A variation on your other approach might be to increase the size of the buttstock a little while reducing the buttplate a little and raising the heel of the buttplate a little.  I would think it would be pretty easy to disguise 3/8" by slightly adjusting all three elements.

Just my $.02.

Good luck on the project.

Larry Luck