Author Topic: Longrifles of the Shenandoah Valley  (Read 7973 times)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Longrifles of the Shenandoah Valley
« on: May 13, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »
I just received a CD with the photographs of the rifles in the display at the Luray Valley Museum.  Here are three as a teaser, I can't show more because discussions are under way with the Kentucky Rifle Foundation to sell the CD after the exhibit is completed.  The pictures are of an attributed George Sites, Rockingham County Virginia.  Enjoy.

Frank

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Longrifles of the Shenandoah Valley
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:59:17 PM »
Boy, Frank-You sure know how to get someone's attention! I hope to get to see this exhibit next month, while in the east. Looks like it will be well worth whatever effort it takes to get there. Will have to be sure to buy the DVD or catalog or anything that will keep the experience and memories alive long after. Thanks for posting this.
Dick

billd

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 08:13:34 PM »
Is the CD available for sale at the museum?

Bill

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 10:26:06 PM »
There hasn't been a final decision about the CD Bill, if it does become available, it won't be ready until sometime in the Fall.

Dick, when your out this way to see the display, I hope you can stop by for a visit, I might ride over with you guys.

Frank

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 01:45:21 AM »
I stopped by Thursday on my way to a auction in Harrisonburg.  Really a great display in all ways. Such a fitting place also.I was worried it would be crowded and would feel rushed, but was not. I tried to take some pics but they was mostly glare. If anyone has an interest in Virginia Rifles this is the Best!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:07:42 AM by Avlrc »

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 03:09:39 PM »
I was up that way Monday. It really is a nice exhibit. I may be the only one in the world ,but I wish they would put the cheek piece side to the outside of cases. The carving and inlays are more interesting to me than the patch boxes. There is  enough light reduction when viewing from the far side to obscure some details. Still a fantastic collection of pieces from the area.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 05:04:44 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the exhibit Don and it's good to see you back on ALR again.  I will discuss your comments with the committee at our next board meeting.

Frank

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 04:02:08 AM »
Frank,

Do you know the time frame attributed to this rifle?

I need to get over that way and see the display!  I'm with you Don, I'm more interested in the carving patterns than the patch boxes.  I see a little "Sheetz" in the carving on this rifle, although I think that style/design (or elements) were used by more than a few builders in the area.  Any connection to the Sheetz family, or am I seeing things?

Thanks for posting the pics!

Ed
Ed Wenger

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 04:59:52 AM »
Ed, there is another rifle by this maker in the exhibit with the same patchbox design.  That rifle is relief carved and probably 10 or 15 years older than this one.  This rifle is estimated to have been made circa 1800.  The incised carving on this rifle has the initials "J L" incorporated in the carving behind the check piece, and it's noted that this rifle spent most of its life in the area of Lantz's Mill in Shenandoah County Virginia. Owned by a member of the Lantz family?

Even though the patchbox side of the rifles have been displayed closest to the outside glass of the cases, you still have a very clear view of the cheek piece carving on the rifles.  If you have an interest in Virginia Rifles, this is a must see display.

Frank
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:03:55 AM by Fullstock longrifle »

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 05:09:23 AM »
I see what your saying about the carving and the Sheetz family, but I'm not familiar with any connection.  But as you said, this style carving was used by several gunsmiths in the Valley.

Frank

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »
Thanks, Frank, great stuff.  I'll be planning a trip soon!

Ed
Ed Wenger