Author Topic: Iron Mounted Unknown Maker  (Read 3125 times)

LBOYLE

Iron Mounted Unknown Maker
« on: May 14, 2012, 05:03:46 PM »
I am trying to figure out where and when this one may have been built. My best guess is western VA/NC/SC?

The specifications are as follows:
- Overall Length = 60.5"
- Weight = 10lbs 10oz
- Drop at heel = 4.5"
- Butt Plate width = 1.6"
- Butt Plate length =  4.75"
- Trigger pull = 14"

- The 43" barrel is .45 calibre, unmarked and utilizes a solid patent breech. It appears to be original length. There are no extra holes in the ramrod channel or plugged/extra pin holes in the stock.

- Slightly swamped: 1.04" at breech (actually measured just in front of the patent breech connection) / 0.94" fourteen inches from muzzle / 0.99 at the muzzle
- The barrel tang is rather long ( 3.5") but still is secured by only one screw. Rounded end.

- Iron buttplate, toeplate, triggerguard and nosecap. The wide triggerguard is, at least to my eye, very attractive.
- Brass ramrod thimbles and entry pipe.
- The very front of the nosecap was finished with lead some of which is now gone.

- Single acting set triggers. The rear trigger must be set for the lock to hold in the cocked position.
- The lock is marked "WARRANTED" in larger than usual letters but there are no other visible markings anywhere else.

Although a bit heavy it actually shoulders and points wonderfully.

I haven't had the privilege to examine up close too many true 'mountain' rifles so any and all ideas and comments on the subject would greatly appreciated. Is it even right to classify this as a mountain rifle?

Thanks to all for looking.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:18:37 PM by lboyle »

Offline bgf

Re: Iron Mounted Unknown Maker
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »
Very nice.  I think the barrel, buttplate, triggerguard/triggers, and nosecap may be significantly earlier than the rest of the rifle.  The breech, tang, and lock with the pipes look like they were added as part of a restock ca. 1840 ?, but the other parts appear more like 1815 or earlier.  Western NC or the adjacent part of E. Tn. is a good guess. 

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 05:05:38 AM »
The stock architecture suggests North Carolina origin. Perhaps an email to Mike Briggs who posts here.
Hurricane

LBOYLE

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 04:36:47 PM »
Thank you very much for the feedback. I too have also thought that the furniture looked earlier than that which would normally be seen on a percussion rifle. The lock mortice area has always appeared to me to have possibly been reworked just a bit, perhaps to accomodate a newer lock and breech. Is it possible that this is a conversion?