Author Topic: Restoration of a Confederate manufactured Mississippi rifle  (Read 3164 times)

hawknknife

I recently had the good fortune of purchasing a Civil war Southern made rifle, a copy of the 1841 Mississippi rifle.  The downside is that it is busted right square in the center, where the lock is.  I have all the parts to include the original RR with the exception of some missing wood around and behind the lock and the complete lock.  I have used a U.S. Mississippi lock to see if it would fit but the plate and all is a little short.  I think a model 1842 lock would be close or could be modified to fit.  The rifle was in fine shape and had been well cared for, the .54 cal bore is VG, rifled with seven lands and grooves.
    My question is who would be a good choice to restore the rifle as I think it would be a very rare Confederate item when finished.  They would have to be knowledgeable about CW period muskets and some extra wood is going to have to be fitted where missing.  I can furnish a cut down original 1842 stock to rob wood from and a 42 lock to be fitted.
    I realize this to be costly, any ideas on who would be a good choice?...Thanks..Carl Merck

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Re: Restoration of a Confederate manufactured Mississippi rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »
Who do you believe made this rifle?  There were a number of contractors in North Carolina that manufacturers in North Carolina that made Model 1841 rifles without patchboxes.  As to restoration, use as much of the original rifle as possible.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

hawknknife

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »
Mr. Briggs, I don't have any idea who made this rifle.  There is a similar breach/nipple arrangement shown in "Confederate Rifles & Muskets" made by the Alabama Gun works.  I noticed you were a contributor to this book and I was going to ask your opinion.  The one in the book is a flint to percussion conversion and I had first thought this may be the case with this rifle utilizing the barrel from an 1817 common rifle but the bore on mine has seven land and grooves as does the common rifle but the 1817 has much deeper rifling.
     The maker may be so obscure that his products are not known.  I have contacted Louie Parker as I do want to get this rare rifle musket restored..Any help will be greatly appreciated...Carl Merck

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:36:54 PM »
Please post or email me some detailed photos of the rifle.

Michael
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:04:25 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

hawknknife

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:30:25 AM »
Mr. Briggs, PM sent...Carl

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 10:50:26 PM »
Carl,