Author Topic: H. M'Callen, Auburn  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
H. M'Callen, Auburn
« on: May 20, 2012, 06:48:34 PM »
I just got a very nice mule ear lock with the above makers name and also stamped "patent" in two places.  It has a true half cock notch with a fly!  The plate is engraved nicely and much of the case color remains.  The mainspring is a leaf, but the sear spring is a coil.  I will get some pictures later, but can anyone identify this fellow?
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: H. M'Callen, Auburn
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »
Are you sure that name isn't H. M'Clallen, rather than M'Callen?  There was a Hugh M'Clallen, who worked in Auburn, New York, 1829 - 1860. He was born in 1792 and died in 1860.  He was apparently a fairly prolific maker, employing several other gunsmiths in his shop. Several of his guns are pictured in Vol. 3 of the Swinney/Tom Rowe books, THE NEW YORK STATE FIREARMS TRADE.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:57:54 PM »
Curt;
You nailed it.  I didn't notice the extra L.  Whoever built the lock did a fine job.  I'd love to reproduce it.  I still have not figured out how the fly works because I haven't had the guts to take it apart yet.  I can see it on a target gun in the near future.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline bgf

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:01:13 PM »
Pictures please.  I'm working on a mule-ear lock for a convertible target rifle (i.e. flint or cap) and can't get enough of them.  The fly is a trick that I'd like to see also!