Author Topic: Calling "Longknife" - re browning Damascus barrels  (Read 2912 times)

Bill Brockway

Calling "Longknife" - re browning Damascus barrels
« on: December 08, 2008, 08:44:39 PM »
Ed  -

I was unable to connect with the link you sent me.  Don't know the problem.  Hope this gets to you just as well.

You asked if Wahkon Bay cold blue would work as well as Laurel Mountain Forge for browning or blueing Damascus barrels.  The honest answer is I don't know, since I have never tried this product.  My guess is it will work as well, but this is just a guess on my part.  Most slow-rust bluers and browners are made up of metallic salts with an acidic reaction, such as copper sulfate or ferric chloride, mixed with water, some sort of alcohol to cut grease, and maybe an addition of inorganic acids, such as nitric or hydrochloric.  These compounds vary in the speed with which they work, and their ability to cut through skin oils and other grease left on the barrels by accident.

I started using Laurel Mountain Forge Barrel Browner many years ago, found that it worked very well, and just never got around to experimenting with other compounds.  The LMF is easily available, and it works.  If you would prefer to use the Wahkon Bay solution, I would suggest you give it a try.  You may be onto something.

As a guide, here is a link to the procedure I use, which you can use as a starting point:  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?action=search2

I would appreciate hearing from you after you have tried the Wahkon Bay.

Bill

Offline Longknife

Re: Calling "Longknife" - re browning Damascus barrels
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:27:42 PM »
Thanks Bill, I have your instructions, I will let you knmow how it turns out...Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 05:05:49 AM »
And hope you post some pictures too!  Would love to see them................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 06:12:59 PM »
I believe that this barrel is not damascus but wrought iron according to Feltwad. I coud get no pattern with the Ferric Chloride solution. Any way someone polished it bright but there are many pits that I may leave and go for an antique appearance. If successful I have a couple sets of Damascus to do. If any one needs the chemicals you can get Ferric Chloride and Logwood Powder on E-BAY.....Ed
Ed Hamberg