Author Topic: Sharon trade rifle kit unbuilt  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Hungry Horse

Sharon trade rifle kit unbuilt
« on: May 21, 2012, 04:15:29 AM »
Anybody have an idea what this is worth? I think its a .54 Cal.. The owner is in his eighties, and not likely to build it. I just don't have any idea what these things are going for today. And, really want to be fair with him.

Hungry Horse

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: Sharon trade rifle kit unbuilt
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:25:26 AM »
I bought a "built" Sharon Hawken about a year ago for $400. I thought I got a steal as it is well done and I don't believe it has seen much use. It sat all weekend and I got it when the trader was loading up. Not much help but what I have.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »
These were solid guns but very simple.  This was the first and only kit gun I ever built, in fact, 1976 or so, in .50.  Because they are drum and nipple, no hooked breech, simple trigger, no underrib, etc I'd place it below the Lyman GPR in terms of price, despite the better lock.  The buttplate is very narrow and curved.  I restocked mine a few years later and it's my only percussion rifle and shoots great- also fitted it with a .54 Green Mountain barrel and a 20 ga smoothbore.
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 07:31:47 PM »
$600 is low end fair.
$800 is generous.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson