Author Topic: chunk  (Read 12365 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: chunk
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 04:48:18 AM »
There are still lots of grocery shoots held around the country. Meat shoots too. I go to a turkey shoot every year that is put on by a church. Most years it brings out alot of shooters that only shoot at that shoot or go hunting. Win three turkeys and your out of the rest of the targets that you signed up for. You get your money back for the unshot targets and it helps spread the winners around. Any kind of get together like this is fun and keeps the intrest up even if for only one day for some.    Smylee

Paul Griffith

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 12:22:02 AM »
Gotta nuther silly question guys. I was told that way in the far back times, these matches were shot either at 60 yards offa chunk, or over a log on the ground, or standing offhand at 40 yards. Is that so or am I disremembering again?

Hungry Horse

I still go to one shoot every summer that shoots 60 Log  or 40 Offhand. Also there's a hog shoot every spring where 4 fine hogs meet the knife.

Somebody mentioned the Bevels. They run a shoot out near KC every fall & I would encourage anybody who can to attend. They put together a prize table that's awesome. And the payback is strickly on the agg of the 10 shots. They used to give out a silver dollar for the indiviual matches but as I understand it the cost of silver may get in the way of this. But this is another way to put on a shoot if you're a mind to scroung up a bunch of prizes.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 02:41:30 AM »
I'm thinkin' the twenty-first century version of butchering' a hog, or a steer, as prizes would be to give away Grocery Outlet gift cards. I say Groc-Out just because the local couple that own our store are the most supportive business owners in town, that don't own a gun shop. What do you guys think?

Hungry Horse

That would certainly work for the local shooters; but what about the guys that travel in  to your shoot from maybe an hour plus?  Would they want to drive back to that local store when it's open for business.  ?   Beware.

Daryl

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 02:48:29 AM »
I think food shoots are fine - if meat of any sort, should be on-site and kept frozen. Not a big deal to make happen. Every club has members with a generator and a small freezer that could be used.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 04:54:40 AM »
 Roger, if you come shoot with me in Minnesota, I'll put up canned Spam!
Okieboy

dagner

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 09:48:08 AM »
as paul said   the bevel shoot is one of a kind they charge 35  but have a catered bbq done by kansas city professional circuit bbq men   they used to give silver dollars but when cost got to 30 they give a siver comerative coin for best x per round   they usualy get 52 shooters .thats their cut off   they own their own range and have  around 100 %  pay out minus food   remember these guys ran the bevel brothers article in muzzle blast were always at friend ship and had their own bs booth their.lots of donated prizes .they are best donation men you ever saw. one class act shoot to make . for their shoot held rain or shine in late oct  you pay up front .they usually sell out at fall friendship.  first come first serve on when you pay.they run a straight deal and do not hold not paid spots for anyone.  lowell and joel  still use their moms apple dumpling  reciept for desert  .that is worth the trip alone
dag

Paul Griffith

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 02:31:44 PM »
There's a good point to consider. Several of the ranges we shoot at are private & the payback at these is near 100%.  So we've become rather spoiled. A couple good shots & you pay for your entry fee.

The thing about running a match such as Bevels is that it's very much more labor than one set up as a money match paying back a bit for the agg & most for the indivdual shots.

The match that breaks the rules of logic is the York. Consider that it pays 40 places for more or less 200 entries. If you set up a small match with these numbers, (4 place payback for 20 shooters) it would fall flat. That would be a $400 purse for 4 people to split. I'd take some of that action.

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »
When I ran the ALR chunk shoot - cost was $5.00 per match - I covered all costs and mailing out targets - prizes were 100$ of the proceeds - little as they were. Seems to me, 60% to the winner, 30% to the second place and remainder to third to cover his costs.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:23:16 PM by Daryl »

Lutes

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 03:48:05 AM »
Good information. Thanks. Any more advice on starting a chunk range and shoot??

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 05:41:09 AM »
My advice would be (if it hasent already been said} to atend a chunk shoot and participate and help with the scoring, which I think would be the most daughnting aspect of putting a chunk shoot on.  Smylee

dagner

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 10:40:06 AM »
smylee gave you some of the best advice  watch the   scoring.    another thought  the gentleman that said open the range for couple hours for practice   .no way..depending on the temperature and area you live in  only on 1/2 hour of practice shots..  say that you post practice statrs at 10:am  that means you are set up fees paid and  set ready to shoot then. once the range is open for pratice  i dont care if is your brother or best friend.he shows up late tough luck .enforce it. you will find out it is the same local people usually that come drifting in at 10:10 and want the whole line shut down so they can set up and post their target and then adjust their chunk safeley/.. oh yes and they must have their  full 1/2  hour warm up time .another thought is range commands  keep it simple when cease fire the range is closed command is given all guns will be benched and you are not allowed to touch the gun  loading equipment  powder etc again untill  the range is hot command. sounds like a range nazi  .only one designated person may give the comman ds during the match.but if you start out hard and fast on the rules  the stay their consistitanly things will go prfetty smooth  have extra card board on hand  for target backers and make shooters use them   .keeps the scoring  from going nuts and the shooter from crabin about the score.

da