Author Topic: Original Dagger & My Replica Version  (Read 3385 times)

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Original Dagger & My Replica Version
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:45:40 PM »
   Dagger is old, but I don't know where to date it. Mounts appear to be coin silver from the color of the tarnish. Blade is 3/32" x 5/8" x 5 3/4". Grip is 2 13/16",  could be bone, polished antler, or even some form of ivory. It has a through tang  with the grip being secured by an oval ball, and the tang peened down on it. I changed the guard on my copy to obtain more usable grip.  My copy is done in nickel silver and polished antler with an 01 blade. The original sheath is leather with no wood core, and mounts of the same metal. There are no markings on the original knife, or sheath. Anybody got any ideas on the period?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:49:08 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Original Dagger & My Replica Version
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:27:56 PM »
 Another beauty Wick. I think I like the copy better than the original.

Tim C.

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 04:12:32 PM »
Beautiful job Wick!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 08:19:19 PM »
Wick - first off beautiful job!

You might have the original silver tested - old German Silver with the often higher nickel content of 25-30% does not tarnish like the common modern 17% stuff does but more like coin silver.
If GS then post 1820's-30's, if real silver (coin or Sterling) than my SWAG would be last quarter of the 18th Century to mid 1800's.
Without a maker's mark also IMO US made, possibly in the south east. IIRC both Grant's and Minnis' books have a couple of similar daggers.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 07:13:52 PM »
Really sweet.  I like others, believe that the new one really "shines" for me, moreso than the original.  Great job.

Lutes

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 04:51:35 AM »
mighty nice job!