Author Topic: I didn't know the gun was loaded.  (Read 10328 times)

eddillon

I didn't know the gun was loaded.
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:13:10 AM »
I'll put this out there as asurvey question:
How many of you fellow collectors have acquired an antique rifle or pistol that still had powder and ball in the chamber?  I have acquired five rifles in the past year.  Three of them were loaded.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: I didn't know the gun was loaded.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:21:07 AM »
2 in the past 2 years!!!
Any easy, safe way to unload them?
Have filled the touch hole/ nipple with oil.
How can one get the ball out without removing the breech plug?
Air pressure?? Safe??
Hurricane.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:24:53 AM »
1955 unloaded a Potsdam musket, Civil War Surplus, also Grandfather's 20 ga shotgun. The latter used a waxed wad, powder nice & dry. Grampa was displeased to learn that his gun had been put away loaded.

Oil deadens primers (learnt that from the Lone Ranger, on radio). . . do we really know that oil does the same for black powder?

Offline louieparker

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:21:47 AM »
I really don't how many I have unloaded. But a bunch ! About five years ago I was working on a Hudson valley fowler that turned out to have a heavy load of BB.When I poured it out they went every where,, I am still finding BBs  .. It always pays to check. A fellow I know was converting one back to flint, He didn't check >Put a torch to it and blew a big hole in his wall...His wife was a bit aggravated about that..
The old timers didn't waste powder and ball ..If they saw no game the rifle was hung up loaded,,,LP

westbj2

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:33:50 AM »
I have also unloaded many antiques over the years.....seems that at least half of them have a load or something else in the bore.  Trying to get smart, I once used one of the "Silent Ball Dis-chargers" which uses a small metal CO2 bottle for pressure.
I thought it would just push the ball out and there fore never gave thought to downrange possibilities.   Happened that the gunbarrel in the vise was pointed toward a 6ft X 8ft plate glass window in the shop.  Not only did the ball go thru the window but kept going and hit a parked car in the lot outside.  Bad day!!!
Jim

Offline Habu

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 03:23:51 AM »
When it comes to double shotguns at farm sales, my rule of thumb is that two out of five will be loaded.  Of the rifles I've checked over the years, the numbers were a bit lower. 

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:42:51 AM »
What good was an unloaded muzzeloader in defense of your home?  By the
time you got it loaded it might have been too late.  I wouldn't be surprised to
find that the majority of attic stored rifles not in the hands of collectors was
put away loaded.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

eddillon

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 03:47:36 AM »
For home defense, I prefer my Glock not my flintlock.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 04:06:49 AM »
Only once... although I've had several with wads of old newspaper and other bits in the barrel. The loaded gun was a French M1728 musket rebuilt as a militia musket... it was also at half cock...rusted almost solid.

longrifle

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 04:19:39 AM »
I got a old percussion double shotgun one time both barrels were still loaded with something about the size of birdshot and powder but the nippes were not capped cleaned out the barrels without much problem.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 04:37:22 AM »
Twice this year
Dave Blaisdell

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 04:46:28 AM »
Safety rule no. 1 is to assume that a gun is loaded.  This applies whether the gun is 200 years old or brand new.  I have pulled many loads out of antique muzzleloaders.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 06:39:54 AM »
I never kept track of how many, but quite a number of them over the years.  Most of them I unbreeched to get the load out.  One was an underhammer buggy rifle that had hung in a museum for years....capped!

Offline Longknife

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 03:53:35 PM »
Not only antiques---My Son won an auction for a Pedersoli kodiak SXS in .58 cal. When he received it both barrels were loaded, not capped. It was shipped half way accross the country like that...Ed
Ed Hamberg

nosrettap1958

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 04:36:31 PM »
Well, yea, today, but back then a firearm had to be put up loaded for home defense as they would not have had the time to load them if trouble started. 

Offline Habu

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 08:09:20 PM »
Around here at least, a lot of these guns were dug out for hunting during the Depression, and while ammo was short on the civilian market during WWII.  I think a lot of the shotguns I see were loaded during this period, probably a generation or two after the gun was replaced with a cartridge gun.  Match heads were substituted for caps, newspaper for wadding, and the shooters used whatever black powder and shot they could find.  One old boy told me you could carve a fair deer-hunting slug for the '63 Springfield from a battery post.

Offline fm tim

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 08:26:47 PM »
Harpers Ferry Model 1816 #2 with a charge in it in 1959.  Its sister with a blown breech.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 08:37:20 PM »
"Ball pullers" available from "Track of the Wolf, Inc"
Hurricane

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 10:28:25 PM »
Glock aside, I'm still partial to my 6 bore blunderbus .  It covers the door/hall pretty good  ;D  Also simplifies aiming etc when under stress !

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 11:48:03 PM »
An original Colt 2nd Model Dragoon out of Texas- 5 of the 6 chambers were still loaded.  They are still loaded.....
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 12:34:18 AM »
Interesting thought... anoyone here ever get asked to show clear with a muzzleloader at a modern gun show... I haven't...

eddillon

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 01:30:13 AM »
Would really like to see that 2nd Dragoon. 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 04:09:36 AM »
Check every bore.

I had worked on a CW musket with five loads, one right on top of the other.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 04:49:42 PM »
When I was around 15 years old, we were moving an old log outbuilding and found an old percussion smoothbore in the rafters that was still loaded.  We figured there was about 2 inches of something in the barrel, so we tried to shoot it out.  I bet the old gun is still loaded.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 10:08:16 PM »
Sometimes you'll find old newspaper (wadding?) or tow, but it's not unusual to find powder under that!

Don't ever try to shoot it out, as you don't know how stuck the wad/bullet is.

I pour some water down the barrel and carefully drill it out, backing the drill to keep it wet.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.