Author Topic: Casting Out of Doors  (Read 8838 times)

Daryl

Casting Out of Doors
« on: May 23, 2012, 05:38:12 PM »
This happened a couple or few years ago, and I though I should mention it again as a safety advice thread now that nice wearter has finally arrived. We here in the North need to replenish our stock of various sizes of round balls for the comming year.

While casting round balls, I caught a blurr flash in my vision, ahead of me, as a rather large moth flew into my full 20 pound pot of pure lead. The resulting explosion of molten lead caught me by surprise. Unfortunately, I only took a picture of the shirt/sweater I was wearing - most of the lead cleared my wide brimmed hat and splattered on the concrete wall behind & beside me. I was very lucky to not have been coated with hot lead. I received only a few burns on my face, feet (slippers) jeans protected my legs and & I received burn spots on my glasses which had to be replaced - $500.00 & change. Be aware when casting out of doors. The pot was emptied, BTW - probably a good 15 pounds of lead. Most of it was salvagable off the walls and floor of the sunken  basement entrance where I was casting.

Offline plastikosmd

Re: Casting Out of Doors
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:21:15 PM »
Wow, i would have never guessed that could happen, thx. How did the moth make out? ;)

Vomitus

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 06:28:49 PM »
No picture of the moth?  :o Sorry,couldn't help myself.  Nasty millers! Never thought about a big miller(Newfy for moth) making such a big "splash"! Yur a lucky sailor,buy!
  When I melt large quantities,I keep my pots lid on when not pouring or handy when I pour into my ingot mould.
  PSD's like glasses,face shield and a smock would be the order of the day.Thanks for the reminder Daryls.

PS,  please gimme a jingle,I need to discuss ball size and moulds for the .28ga. Off to physio,be home at 12.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:46:38 PM by Leatherbelly »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 06:39:47 PM »
Ya, you are right to warn folks. My buddy had a similar reaction when a drop of sweat from his forehead fell into the pot as he was leaning over to skim the dross.  He knows better....but let down his guard . Too much in a hurry !   :o

Offline Ezra

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
Wow, Canada has suicidal terrorist moths... :o

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

4ster

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »
Thanks for the warnings.  It is easy to get complacent.  I think I'll buy me a face shield today, I've been pouring without one.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 08:25:17 PM »
Thanks for the sefety warning.
Eric Smith

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »
very timely.  was pouring today in shop.  Sandals, shorts and tee shirt - gonna be 90 or so today.  Did have eye protection but need to go to full face shield.  my elec production pot sits on a high work bench that keeps me from being directly above the pot but still need to be protected.
TC - Cloud Rider
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:59:30 PM by TCompton »
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Habu

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 11:22:46 PM »
Junebugs will do the same thing.  it was the first time I'd seen that old SAECO pot completely empty. 

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 11:48:06 PM »
The only things I cast out of doors are flies and lures.

However, one time I was melting .22 cartridge brass in a crucible with an acetylene torch.  None had bullets in them, but (unknown to me) one still had its priming.  The brass hadn't started to melt yet, but it was mighty hot when the primer went off and blew .22 cases all over the shop.  No biggy except for the one that went down my shirt and made me jump around for a while.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »
hmmmmm
thinkin I'll come up with a cover for the pot.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 12:49:56 AM »
My electric pot is a dipper not a bottom pour any more - 20 pound capacity - a lid would not work. I'll make sure I'm wearing a heavy cotton shirt or smock along with my heavy work apron from now on.  I haven't been, came over that picture when going through my photobucket stuff looking for a non-related picture.

I do use my 60 to 80 pound pot for casting balls or bullet any more (I don't know what it weighs full) but do use it for melting WW - guess I should make a cover for it. 

That's  LOT of molten lead, but I used it for casting my river boat anchor years ago.  I converted a white gas stove to use propane straight out of the  5, 10 or 20 pound bottles (non-regulated) - works great at 16 pounds pressure or whatever pounds that bottle happens to be producing, depending on the current temp. 

It would melt a full BIG pot in 20 minutes when on full blast. With nothing over the burner, the flames would reach just about 3 feet. Warmed up the tent quickly, but produced too much water in cold weather.  Nice stove, eh? 

I had hard silver soldered a propane tank valve onto the white gas adjuster rod but shoved a bunch of 4 ought wool down the tube first. Works great for melting big quantities, until I retired it and bought a tiger torch wich is faster yet, but safer.  I don't suggest anyone do this with a white gas stove - drove a gas fitter friend of mine nuts every time he heard it running (whooshing) in fishing camp - it was my only camp stove for a while.

Sometimes reminders such as this are needed for the elderly - HA!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 01:33:55 AM »
I melt my lead in a cast iron skillet.  I put slices of bacon on top of the lead.  It's self fluxing and I have a bacon sandwich before I start casting.  All the balls come out of the mold pre-lubed.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 01:35:49 AM »
Daryl, ..........that brings back memories !!! Some perhaps best  forgotten . Like the time I figured I could save a lot of shoveling after a big snow storm.  I tossed a can of gasoline down the length of the laneway, and tossed a match.  Bad idea   :o :o :o

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 04:01:51 AM »
I melt my lead in a cast iron skillet.  I put slices of bacon on top of the lead.  It's self fluxing and I have a bacon sandwich before I start casting.  All the balls come out of the mold pre-lubed.

hahahahaha

JoeG

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 05:57:53 AM »
That was an EPA moth trained to stop people from releasing lead fumes into the atmosphere

you were lucky he didn't the whole crew

Offline LH

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 04:35:17 AM »
glasses, long sleeves, gloves, long pants, boots and an apron.  Thats my standard casting uniform.  But a feller could get hurt doing anything and taking all the safety precautions available.   There's always some risk. 

Offline Habu

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 04:51:45 AM »
After spilling lead into a glove, I'll never wear gloves again to cast.  I sort of look at it like blacksmithing: "all metal is hot, be careful." 

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 06:24:54 AM »
Great reminder..I pour with no exposed skin..wear my chain saw hard hat with full face shield....30" box fan blowing at my back,
one of my buddies was pouring out side his garage... over head light on... with a tennis racket in one hand to keep the June bugs at bay.. :o

Vomitus

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 08:57:33 AM »
  Sheesh ,I need a hardhat doing dishes!

flintlock

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 02:36:32 AM »

Sounds delicious! LOL!

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 06:11:30 PM »
Sometimes you just cannot help but be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Eric Smith

Flinter

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 12:26:33 AM »
I do all of my casting on a cold dry winter day, because of what happened to you Daryl. Even then, I have a plexiglass and wood shield between me and the lead pot.

Daryl

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 06:35:24 PM »
Interesting setup and nice big lead pot you've got there, Jim.