Author Topic: Smoothbore dent removal  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Smoothbore dent removal
« on: May 23, 2012, 08:26:19 PM »
I'm considering the purchase of an original Belgian double shotgun, the left barrel of which has a shallow dent about mid barrel appx. 1/4" in length.  Does it need to be removed?  Does it pose a danger?  If it needs to be removed, who can do it?  Yes, I'm going to shoot it if I buy it.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Smoothbore dent removal
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 08:28:32 PM »
Roger,
A good gunsmith, contemporary, with shotgun knowledge should be able to remove the dent in the barrel.
Mark
Mark

Offline Habu

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:29:12 PM »
Are the barrels twist steel?  I ask only because I know of one gun (w/twist barrels) that had a dent ironed out and later burst at that point.  I don't know how severe the dent was, how long it was shot with the dent and may have been further damaged, how the dent was ironed out, or even if there was a connection.  But after that, if looking at an original for a shooter, I'd check any former dents closely. 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 12:55:52 AM »
I'm considering the purchase of an original Belgian double shotgun, the left barrel of which has a shallow dent about mid barrel appx. 1/4" in length.  Does it need to be removed?  Does it pose a danger?  If it needs to be removed, who can do it?  Yes, I'm going to shoot it if I buy it.
Roger B.

If its damascus or "twist" its probably broken at that point. OR the barrel opposite the dent is broke.

If its fake twist then it can be raised.
Debreech, drive a wooden plug in the breech of the bore, fill nearly full of water then drive a plug in the muzzle so it impacts the water NO airspace. Now with a light smooth hammer tap lightly around the dent very close to it. I have read of this working.
Most gunsmiths have tools to do this work.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

FRJ

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 05:58:56 AM »
Most real modern gunsmiths have the expander tools to iron out dents in shotgun barrels with no problem. It really isn't that expensive either. If it's damascus don't shoot it. FRJ

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 01:03:09 AM »
Looks as if I need to pass on the gun.  Thanks, guys.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Bob Warren

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 05:53:38 AM »
I had a damascus barrel in a side by side repaired five years ago.  It had a dent that was probably a half inch long and very visible inside more than a foot back from the muzzle.  Have had no problems.  Contact Keith Kearcher, Bend, OR, the number I have is 541-617-9299.  I think he is very respected in the repair of damascus.  If he fixes it and approved the gun for shooting I would not worrry about.  That gun sounds very repairable but he can tell you for sure.  At the time he charged me $100 and unless you know where that dent was you would never know it.  Google "Keith Kearcher Gunsmith" and check him out.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:55:58 AM by Bob Warren »

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 02:51:47 PM »
The best tool for lifting dents in Damascus barrel are brass plugs ,if the gun is a 12 then you need the standard plugs 12, a 12 over 1 ,  and a small size of 13 over 1.
These plugs will lift any dent in any length ,once the dent is lifted the barrel bore should be lapped and the outside wall struck off.It also best to test for wall thickness at this point because if the dent has been there for a long period of time and the gun has been still in use  the barrel will be thin at this point.
I do not recommend the hydraulics dent removers because it is quite easy to turn a dent into a bulge which is worse  so go for plugs .I have raised hundreds of dents using plugs  in Damascus barrel from the big 4 to the small 32 gauge
Feltwad
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:52:48 AM by Feltwad »