Author Topic: flat horns?????  (Read 3774 times)

lost arrow

flat horns?????
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:13:01 PM »
how are horn made to be flat,?can you boil it in water to bend it?

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
Re: flat horns?????
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:17:42 PM »
flat horns are not too hard to come by--- they come from flat cows....don't they?
Galations 2:20

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:34:38 PM »
Here is a link to a  turotial on flat horn construction from the Horners Bench.  http://thehornersbench.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=howto&action=display&thread=2688 My only comment is that you need to use hot oil (325 degrees f) instead of boiling water, to get the horn hot enough to lose its memory.  I use soy bean oil in my fry daddy.  I heat the oil up to about 325 degrees, place the horn in the oil until I see a good stream of air bubbles in the oil and then place the horn into a press.  I am not a horner and have only flattened a couple of horns so let the experts chime in.
Dave 

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 07:32:04 AM »
Yes. Use lard or oil. Water will not get hot enough. 
I use a 10 inch bench vise as my press with two pieces of 1/2" plywood between the jaws. I also use a one piece wedge to flatten the horn down onto. I tap it in to keep it tight as the horn is flattened. It's not really hard, just takes a little practise.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 03:07:05 PM »
That  is a Great link Dave, that's basicly how I do them but with water.

Here is another that Gary posted,

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=18918.msg178320#msg178320

Guess I am going to have to try the oil method.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:07:58 PM by Tim Crosby »

Horner75

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 11:29:51 PM »
I think another key point in making flat horns, is to not be in a hurry and try to NOT heat and flatten them in just one heat! __  Going slow is my specialty and heating the entire horn and squeezing a little and then heating again two or three times between pressing help kill that "horn memory" and it guards against cracking! __ Hot oil is the only way to go and I buy the cheapest cooking oil at the store and it works just fine!

Even wall thickness horns work best for flattening!

Rick
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:31:15 PM by Horner75 »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 12:44:28 AM »
   Yes, even wall thickness and slow. With water I let it go for at least 90 minutes depending on the size and thickness of the horn and let it sit in the form a couple days. Also remember if you use a heat gun in coloring, sd in AF, the horn will soften up. Be sure to clean up the inside of the horn or your forms will defiantly glue themselves in place.

Tim C.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
Thanx for the links gentlemen,  been wanting to tackle a flat horn   just wasn't sure how to tackle it.  Keep yer eye's open ..  Got to make a few bases when I get home,and little staining take pics and post

Rich