Author Topic: Jacob Young  (Read 3532 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Jacob Young
« on: May 30, 2012, 11:41:06 PM »
In the CLA journal vol.3 no. 1 Guy Montfort in his article on iron mounted rifles mentions a Jacob Young who worked in TN / KY 1790-1830. Has anyone done research on this gunsmith? There was a Jacob Young born at Colesmouth VA (now St. Albans, WV) in 1790. Any connection?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Jacob Young
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:37:44 PM »
David - Jacob Young has been a bit challenging for researchers to pin down with regard to where he came from, worked and lived - various reasons, including that there were a number of families named Young in the region of Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky in the late 18th century.  So I would not rule out a connection by any means. However, the current theories (if I understand correctly) have him being born in around 1773 or 1774 (I think) in the Watauga settlements, probably learning from or at least working with a gunsmith named Thomas Simpson (even tougher to pin down) in the 1790s, and then working in central Kentucky and/or middle Tennessee in the early 1800s, with some time spent also possibly a little farther west in Tennessee.  His work appears to be closely associated stylistically to Simpson's work and the work of late 18th century and early 19th century gunsmiths in the Lexington Kentucky area.

Frank House, Brian LeMaster, Shelby Gallien and Casey McClure have done a lot of research on him as have several other ALR members who post on here.  Perhaps Tanselman or Casey might have some more to add.

Guy
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:38:13 PM by G-Man »

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »
There is a diffinate connection between Young and Simpson, this can be seen by looking at there work. I personally think Simpson was the older of the two and may have been a mentor of Jacob.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline bgf

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:26:39 PM »
Guy gave you the unfortunate truth of the situation.  There is a Jacob Young under every leaf of cabbage it seems, but period documentation of the gunsmith as such is either rare or possibly non-existent. 

Regarding your Jacob Young, it is a possibility, but unlikely.  Is he documented as a gunsmith?  If so, he may either be the one, or -- my guess -- he may be related to the Youngs who worked around Hampshire Co. Va. (WVa.), who may be related at some distance, although that is speculation. 

The Whitley rifle was made NO LATER than 1813 and likely somewhat or even much earlier than that, because that is the year Whitely died in the battle of Moraviantown (Ont., Ca.) carrying that rifle.   It is unlikely but not impossible that a 23 year old (at most) was selected to make that rifle. 

If you have any information on the JY born in 1790, such as his parents, wife, etc., it might be helpful and fit into what little we can speculate about the "real Jacob Young" or to relate him to others.  There is a lot I would rather not go into, as the waters are muddy enough.  On the other hand, even unlikely possibilities need to be examined.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 05:29:56 AM »
A hand written family history recorded by my maternal grandmother records her great great grandfather Conrad Young immigrated from Germany about 1760 to Norfolk, VA  with a wife and son, John. He was widowed and remarried twice and had three more sons, Charles, William, and George.
 Reportedly this John Young married Keziah Tackett. The day after their son Jacob was born (aug. 27 1790) their settlement (Tacketts Fort) was attacked by Shawnee raiding party. John slipped his wife and new son out by canoe under cover of darkness to escape to another fort a few miles up river,(now Charleston,WV).
 Grandmother has my ancestor, George Young recorded as being born in Maryland in 1800 and eventually settling in what is now Putnam County WV. His occupation is given as a cooper and lawyer?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA