Author Topic: 1700s pipe box  (Read 5820 times)

Offline Carl Dumke

1700s pipe box
« on: May 28, 2012, 03:03:16 AM »
Hey all,
Got back from my deployment a few weeks ago and got back into my shop.  I know it is not the usual accoutrement, but it looks really good on my mantle over my longrifle.  It is a copy of a 1750s pipe box found at the Massachussetts South Shore and is now in the Phyllis Randall Collection in the Strawberry Banke Museum, Portsmouth, New Hampshire.  The original was pine and painted a sage green.  My interpretation is made of blistered maple from a friend in Ohio--I would love to have a longrifle stock from this wood!  The drawer front and knob is made from the same board as the back so that it flows together.  The body of the drawer is poplar.  I used leather dye for color followed by boiled linseed oil and a semi-gloss topcoat.  What do ya'll think--just glad to get back into the horn/saw dust! 

Carl

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: 1700s pipe box
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 03:53:52 AM »
Real Nice Carl.  Real real nice!  Like the design, wood and finish.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 06:12:06 PM »
  Welcome back! Nicely done, looks like it is on fire. Great work.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:15:39 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:45:32 PM »
Yes , welcome home! That is one sweet looking pipe box you've built. The maple has exceptional figure and the color is perfect. Couldn't be better.
Curly

Sunkmanitu Tanka

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:24:25 PM »
Very fine craftsmanship! I love the wood!
I could imagine a nice assortment of different boxes in that wood ...

Offline gusd

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »
Very pretty, beautiful color!
Welcome home!
Gus

Black Hand

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 05:09:29 PM »
Fine work!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 06:01:37 PM »
Well done, and glad you're safely home. Tell us about your methods. Did you cut the large circular sections by drilling/holesawing? Were the curves cut with a scrollsaw or by hand with a coping saw? Did you cut the two sides together? Nice match.

Too bad pipe smoking is mostly a thing of the past, but they store candles or long fireplace matches very well.
 ;)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »
That is beautiful Carl. Did you have an original that you patterned this after?

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Carl Dumke

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 11:49:54 PM »
That is beautiful Carl. Did you have an original that you patterned this after?

Steve
Steve,
The pattern is from an Early American Life Magazine when they still did colonial patterns in the magazine.  The copy is packed away but here is the article:

http://books.google.com/books?id=dPsDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA31#v=onepage&q&f=false

The original was painted a mossy green, but I wanted a different look. 

As I said, the wood is blistered maple.  The round areas were cut with a hole saw before cutting out the pattern with a band saw and then all areas were filed using various needle files.  The back, front and drawer front were taken from one piece of wood to keep the pattern consistent.  The sides were sawn together as one piece using some double stick tape--don't use too much or you will never get them apart.  All pieces were was sanded to 150.  I assembled the pieces using finish steel cut nails from Tremont Nail Co--only ones in the US that carries them any more.  They are expensive, but essential to get the period feel. 

Then I used a very dark leather dye--any water based dye will work.  This is my set coat.  I then sanded to remove all of the surface dye so only the soft wood keep the color--almost back to the bare wood.  This will really make the maple stand out.  I did the same to the little tiger maple keeping chest I made for my wife for Mother's Day:

Then come in with a med brown, then sand back. I did this process about 4 times--each time the contrast gets better.  Then sand any futher wiskering with #0000 steel wool.  Take Boiled Linseed Oil--heat this OUTSIDE to where it just smokes.  Don't do this step inside and make sure you do not take your eyes off of the pot.  Take a natural bristle brush--not synthetic as it will melt.  I get mine from Lowes for less than a buck.  Paint on a liberal coat and let sit for about 10 mins.  Check back and keep appling for 30 mins with as much oil as the piece will take.  Once the time is up, use a cloth to wipe completely clean.  For the next few hours, keep wiping the piece down as the wood will push some of the oil back out.  Let this sit for about a week.  During that period, the oil may seep out of the wood making little beads on the surface.  After the week of waiting, take a green scrub pad--the one in the cleaner section of the grocery store and dip this in a small pot of oil--no need to heat this time.  You are looking to rub a little bit of oil into the wood, taking away the "beads" while burnishing the piece with the pad at the same time.  Let this sit for at least a few days to ensure all of the oil has dried--remember, this is just a very thin coat.  Once this is dry, I use armor seal (semi-gloss), three coats with a buff of #0000 steel wool in between.  I hope this helps--just yell if I confused anyone... 
Carl

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 01:20:42 AM »
I hope you'll understand if I don't show this box to Pam. She already has most of my nice stuff and I'd never hear the end of it if she didn't have one of those. Very nice!!

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 02:08:48 AM »
Carl.......that is so neat, must be fun to do stuff like this.    Like me, you sometimes have to take a break from building
something that shoots.   But, that color would look good on a kentucky..........Don