Author Topic: fwiw: original euro Perc. schuetzen  (Read 4017 times)

The other DWS

fwiw: original euro Perc. schuetzen
« on: May 28, 2012, 03:17:42 PM »
TOTW has an original Percussion era schuetzen rifle listed in their guns for sale on-line catalogue

www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/492/2/AAK-880

I have been told that there were also flintlock versions of these offhand target rifles made but have never seen pictures of an original

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: fwiw: original euro Perc. schuetzen
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:12:08 PM »
The architecture on this one is very non-typical, and may indicate an area where it was made. Fullstock schuetzens are not common either.  I seem to remember that the late Roy Keeler had a flintlock schuetzen that we used in a schuetzen display at the Museum of the NMLRA.  This type of shooting only became poplular near the end of the flintlock era, so there were not many of them made.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 08:40:45 PM »
I will raise an inquiry with Helmut Mohr about a flint lock Schuetzen rifle. I think we discussed them but that was over 30 years ago and the thing I remember was he said that the radically hooked butt plates were not used on them.
A post will be forthcoming as soon as I find out.

Bob Roller

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:27:21 PM »
I'd be interested in the responses, Bob.

I'd love to build a flint schuetzen to beat the percussion shooters with.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 07:49:51 PM »
Acer,
I called Helmut Mohr this morning and raised the question about a flintlock Schuetzen and he said he had never seen one of German make but that Pedersoli is making one that is supposed to be copied from a Swiss version.
He said the German Shooting Federation has approved it for competition and that he is going to make five of them using Jim Chambers late Ketland lock. He also wants me to make five small Manton/Bailes locks for a new target pistol. I may do it because he offered $300 apiece for them.
I must have been mistaken about the conversation with him about flintlock Schuetzens but I do remember he said
that whatever we were talikg about had no radical buttplate or Hakenschaftkappe as he called it.

Bob Roller

Offline Chris Treichel

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:25:05 PM by Chris Treichel »