Author Topic: Philip Creamer and Andrew Jackson  (Read 3785 times)

Offline louieparker

Philip Creamer and Andrew Jackson
« on: May 26, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »
The Hermitage collection in Nashville contains a percussion Philip Creamer pistol . It has Jackson's name on the thumb piece and is said to be one of a pair.. Does anyone know anything about this  pistol ?    Is it cased? What happened to the mate ?  When were they separate?        How long has it been in the collection?     ...............Louie 

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Philip Creamer and Andrew Jackson
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:23:35 PM »
Louie, some years ago, repairs were being done in the attic of the house. It was reported that they found a pistol in the rafters and the one you speak of here may be that one. I believe at the time they thought that it had once had a mate, but no longer. Not sure if these are the same ones, but they seem to have almost always been there.
Dick

Offline louieparker

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:28:22 PM »
Dick
The pistol that  was supposedly  found there was a Wiley Higgins and is still there ..If the Creamer was found there I have not heard that story...LP

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:58:53 PM »
The Pictures of the Creamer pistol that was made for Andrew Jackson, that were used in my book, were supplied to me by George Shumway.  He said that they were taken by Robin Hale.  Since both of them are now gone, there may be some information that is now gone as well.  This pistol is original percussion, so it was certainly made after Creamer went west, either in Illinois or Missouri. Creamer arrived in Illinois in 1805 or 1806. 

Offline louieparker

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:08:40 PM »
I have learned a little about the pistol's history...Andrew Jackson is said to have given the cased pair to john Eaton..No information as to when..In 1880  they were in the possession of General hunter..In 1920 the single  pistol ( no case)  was donated to the Hermitage by a Mrs, Spon. So the pistols were probably separated between 1880  and 1920..Its been at the Hermitage for around 90 years....

When given this information I thought the ownership after Jackson was Hunter to Eaton..But that would have difficult as Eaton's death is listed as 1856..     If you have any information on this let me know..Louie

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:13:23 PM by louieparker »

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 12:44:39 AM »
Anyone have or know where to find pictures of the dueling pistols AJ used?
Eric Smith