Author Topic: Horn With Patch  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Horn With Patch
« on: June 03, 2012, 12:19:05 AM »

It is from the Kendall collection in Scott and Cathy Sibley’s recent book, Building The Southern Banded Horn.
 Around the outside curve it is about 12”. The base is Poplar and about 2 ¼”, held in by the same 4 steel pins that hold the base band on. The tips is of Whitetail antler, it is a two part, held together with 3 pins and attached to the horns with 6. In the pix I have seen the tip looks like it may have been a bit longer so I added some to it. The plate/patch is Pewter and is attached with 8 Pewter pins, I do not know if the plate was a patch or decoration, in anycase it is a really neat horn.
 The color is AF and the standard Brown shoe polish.

Tim C.   

« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 02:18:54 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Howard

Re: Horn With Patch
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 12:21:54 AM »
Tim, you did a nice job. The patch on the original horn is silver. When you hold it to the light you can see a hole that the patch covers. Louie Parker found this a a pawn shop in Mo. about 30 years ago & was gracious to let me have it then. He has a great eye. Howard

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 12:50:41 AM »
 Thanks Gene. It was in the picture that you sent me some time ago but I could not see the patch. I thought it was Silver but did not have any, I figured Pewter was better than German Silver.
  Thanks for sharing the horns.

Tim C.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 01:16:33 AM »
I think the pewter looks fine Tim and trust me, Rase bought silver recently for a German gun. He was complaining to high heaven last weekend about the price.

Steve
Steve Skillman

smorrison

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:15:36 AM »
Very nice work, Tim.  It looks great!

Scott