Author Topic: Casting my own R/B's  (Read 10737 times)

FRJ

Casting my own R/B's
« on: June 03, 2012, 03:56:17 AM »
I was paying over $18.00 for Hornady R/B's. Its just too much for me so I bought a Lyman .535" mold, a ladle, a pot and some pure lead. Spent several hours molding up some balls and now the equiptment is paid for.They came out a little heavier than the Hornadys and just a few grand larger. Really came out nice and from now on they shouldn't cost me more than a penny or 2 to make versus the eighteen cents they were costing me from Hornady. I also have a 45 cal mold that I used to use 30 or so years ago and I bought a 45 cal flintlock several months ago so I can now make balls for it also. They really shoot great and I'm very happy with myself. FRJ

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Casting my own R/B's
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 04:28:50 AM »
Welcome to the real world FRJ. I was asked by my gun club to put on a casting seminar. The first thing they asked me was did I had enough bullet molds to make it happen. I went out into the shop, and found twenty seven modern molds, and seven antique ones. Buying cast bullets is like putting ethyl in your Yugo, its just silly.

Hungry Horse

Offline Habu

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:43:27 PM »
Congrats on getting back into casting, FRJ!  If you shoot much, buying cast bullets cuts too far into the budget for powder and flints.  About the only time I buy them is to experiment with diameters before buying a mould for a new gun, if I don't already have a mould in that diameter. 

Of course, every time I wind up casting in mid-August, I can't help but think how much easier it would be to just buy the swaged balls. 

Offline flint45

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 01:42:46 AM »
The most obvious question I have is "Where do you get good lead?"I haven't cast any of my own since the late '70's.Back then I got plumbers lead from my neighbor.I just got a new .445 mold last week to try and start making some.

Offline yip

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 03:30:30 AM »
 JUST WONDERN' WOULD SPENT SHOTGUN SHOT BE GOOD FER CASTIN' ROUND BALL?

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 03:38:23 AM »
Shot from modern day shotgun shells is quite hard. I'm from the school of soft lead for round balls. There will be a bunch jump in here on the wheel weight side of town. I get my lead at the local salvage yard. I only buy sheet lead or sheathing off of power cable. It is dead soft. You can also score on ebay for good soft lead. Price is a bit higher than getting it from your neighbor I bet. Bob

FRJ

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 03:47:50 AM »
I got my lead from my local M/L dealer and he gets it from a roofing contractor that takes it off the chimneys that vent the bathrooms. Its dead soft. I also checked on the internet for lead and scrap lead and there were several places, one only 1/4 mile from me that sell pure lead for about sixty cents a pound. Just use your puter and you will find all sorts of places to buy it. Years ago I used plumbers lead but my local hardware stores no longer handle it. FRJ

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 04:31:52 AM »
Believe it or not talk to your dentist. Every X-ray has a little lead foil shield that is considered toxic waste, and is picked up by a waste recycler for a small nominal fee (Yeh right). I pick up little five pound buckets of these from my dentist for no nominal fee. He happy for no fee. I'm happy for free lead. Its really good stuff too. The balls are a deep blue chrome color, and turn black in about a week.
 Hospitals have radio active isotope containers that average about twenty pounds each, that are good lead. Not pure, but pretty soft. They too would rather spend their money on green fees, than tree hugging' pirates. Talk to the radiology department. They glow in the dark too. Only kidding.

Hungry Horse

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
Guys,

Since my barrels tend to be rather odd size calibers, right now I am rifling a 0.513 bore, I have to cast my own.  Try this - weigh the finished bullets.  You may be suprised at the results.  For "serious" target work I segregate the bullets into groups that are in a tight range of +/- weight.  Fairly often I find a bullet that is many grains too light.  Even though the bullet may look good on the outside, there could be a void or bubble inside that throws the weight off.  Notice I put the word serious in quotation marks, my barrels really are not target competitive with the modern ones.

Jim

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »
Jim;
  I used to do all that stuff 20 years ago. I quit one summer when I was running late getting ready to go to a primitive shoot in Coos Bay Oregon. I cast up a batch of round balls for my trade gun, using one of old Turners hair straightener molds without a sprue cutter. I cut the knobs off the top of the bullets with a pair of diagonal wire cutters, and threw them in a big old KC baking powder can from the local school lunch room. I threw the can in the back of the pickem'up truck, and headed out. When I arrived they had been rolling around back there for five hundred miles and looked like a cross between a golf ball, and a raindrop. As luck would have it, A known "expert" was holding court on about the second target on the trade gun trail walk. He had a half dozen pilgrims rounded up, and was going through the process required to make perfect round balls. He discussed casting, weighing, sprue removal, and rolling them over a sheet of glass to make sure they  rolled straight. After he was done he shot and hit the target  ( a big old apple nailed to a post). Being a person that loves to jerk an (experts) chain, I stepped up and showed them my ammo and explained how the dimples on the ball work just like a golf ball. And the teardrop shape allowed the bullet to snap around and fly straight just like a rifle ball. I shot and hit my apple. The "expert" almost exploded. He boiled over like a volcano, in fact I think I say a little lava boiling out of the corner of his mouth. I only missed beating him by one point, and he never forgave me, and I never rolled, weighed, or measured, another ball.

Hungry Horse 

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 06:14:29 PM »
We had a smoothbore shooter hit a gong at just over 170yards with his 20 bore.  None of the rifle shooters hit the same gong. Does that mean a smoothbore is more accurate than a rifle?  Just wonderin'. :)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »
I started casting all my own ball back in the mid 1960s using a bag mold.  I quickly accumulated other molds and equipment and never looked back.  I've never bought rb myself and don't mind casting at all.  I also cast many thousands of cf bullets and found casting ball is far easier.  I cast my smoothbore ball with WW metal.  It's the only way to go, IMHO.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 06:35:36 PM »
Yip - shot, reclaimed or new, makes fine balls for smoothbores as well as if small enough to allow sufficient patching, will also work in rifles. Normally, pure lead is most desired for rifle loading as the ball will conform into the rifling lands and grooves whereas harder lead, ie: WW or shot is more difficult or impossible to cold form when a tight combination is used for accurate shooting.

Be aware that like lead based WW's, shot has arsenic in it and proper ventilation is necessary when casting. The amount is minute, however is there - as well, arsenic is a requisite for hardening lead by water dropping, similar to steel, however the amountor degree of hardness depends upon the temperature of the the lead when it hits the water- same as with WW alloys.

California WW are mostly composed of Zinc nowadays - don't use them.

Vomitus

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »
We had a smoothbore shooter hit a gong at just over 170yards with his 20 bore.  None of the rifle shooters hit the same gong. Does that mean a smoothbore is more accurate than a rifle?  Just wonderin'. :)

Well of course they are!! ;D More fun too then them jack handled rifling guns. ;) Ken's gun is a 24ga.(58)

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 07:01:17 PM »
OK- thought it was a 20 bore. He used something like 140gr. or 150gr. 2F for that shot as he told me he doubled his normal charge.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 09:04:41 PM »
Many years ago I got my tail whipped at the Tall Trees Rendezvous by a friend with a custom trade gun. I was shooting a fine production percussion that the Olympic team later adopted. I beat him on all the long shots, but he had a silver front sight, and I had an iron one, in the redwoods I couldn't see my sight that well, but he could. Lesson learned. I got a all new respect for smoothbores, and silver sights.

Hungry Horse

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 01:55:00 AM »
I ordered lead from RotoMetals in enough quantity to qualify for free shipping. I think the USPS is now reconsidering the "If it fits, it ships" advertisement. I got something about the size of a shoebox that weighed 82 pounds, and had to go to the PO to pick it up because the mail lady could not lift it. When I handed the slip to the guy behind the counter he took one quick glance at it and remarked "Oh, YOU'RE the one!"

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 02:11:36 AM »
Many years ago I got my tail whipped at the Tall Trees Rendezvous by a friend with a custom trade gun. I was shooting a fine production percussion that the Olympic team later adopted. I beat him on all the long shots, but he had a silver front sight, and I had an iron one, in the redwoods I couldn't see my sight that well, but he could. Lesson learned. I got a all new respect for smoothbores, and silver sights.

Hungry Horse

Notice the front sight gleaming on the end of Taylor's Kuntz rifle. The Iron (steel) front sight gleams like an ivory or silver blade, but only on the back-slanting 1/8" long, 45 degree angle.  All year long, dark days, bright days, this sight is terrific. Blacken it for when it's too bright, and rub it once with the thumb to brighten for a dark target or dim lighting.

HardBall

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 05:26:14 AM »
I ordered lead from RotoMetals in enough quantity to qualify for free shipping.

Before long I'll be doing the same from antimony man.  It's a little over $2 / lb but I can't find good, pure lead easily so $2/lb is better than nothing.  I'll probably get a little tin also to blend for my cartridge guns.

That's something I really like about modest caliber round ball guns, they're quite economical on lead.

dagner

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »
  the bevel brother  did a bunch of articles and tests on   round balls out of weight corroded slightly damages with and without sprue.    you shoot a aplle at 20 yars no problem now you want a 10x at 50 yards problem  .will still cut th 10 ring check out old muzzle blasts article by them .they will fill you in on proper way to cast and diferrent outcomes.good reading.
dag

FRJ

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 02:55:27 AM »
It surprised me when I weighed a bunch of my good looking balls to find a few were light by several grains. There has to be a void in them and I just cant figure they would shoot as well as the others. BUT then I don't know if I shoot good enough to tell the difference. Since it doesn't take much time to weigh them and they go back into the pot I'll probably keep doing it since I'm kinda anal anyhow. FRJ

jamesthomas

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 08:55:06 PM »
 I started casting over the summer, I bought some 50lbs of those lead roof jacks from a scrap dealer at .50 cents a lb. used a cast iron cornbread mold to cast them into ingots. I think I have enough to last awhile ;D probably had over 50lbs as I have 400 .490 rb cast and still have about 40+ingots left. Casting your own is the way to go IMO.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »
I ordered lead from RotoMetals in enough quantity to qualify for free shipping. I think the USPS is now reconsidering the "If it fits, it ships" advertisement. I got something about the size of a shoebox that weighed 82 pounds, and had to go to the PO to pick it up because the mail lady could not lift it. When I handed the slip to the guy behind the counter he took one quick glance at it and remarked "Oh, YOU'RE the one!"

I bought my lead from Buffalo Arms Co. Paid 1.79 per lb plus shipping. It was labeled "pure lead 99.9%.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:18:42 AM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith

flintlock

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 02:29:46 AM »
See my post on the thread: Re: Shooting Hard Lead Shot in a ML barrel

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=21507.0

My post is currently the last post. Balls cast from wheel weights will shoot just fine. See the picture in my post as an example.

Daryl

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 02:43:50 AM »
I agree - WW alloy balls will shoot just fine.   

It is simply easier to get match-grade, under 1" groups at 50 yards using pure lead bullets that allow even tighter loading which usually provides better accuracy.  I have never seen the reverse occur.