Author Topic: Can anyone help to identify maker or where it was possibly made  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Mike T

I purchased this 20 ga. flint lock fowler which is unsigned and in very good condition.  I'd like to know more about the gun and hope that someone on the blog will recognize some features which will help to identify the possible maker or the place where it was made.  The barrel has no signature or proof marks (top or bottom)and is a hook breech secured by two sterling silver wedges with sterling escutcheons.  Other inlays are sterling silver as well.  The nose piece is buffalo horn. and the stock is possibly cherry.  Butt plate and trigger guard are brass. Wrist checkering and engraving are well designed and executed.  Ramrod appears to be original with flared brass button end and tapered opposite endpiece with removable worm attached.  Possibly shortened by about 2".  Except for the absence of proof marks and the possible cherry wood stock it looks English. Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks, Mike Torrente  

[/img]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:02:43 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Mike T

eddillon

Re: Can anyone help to identify maker or where it was possibly made
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 11:28:50 PM »
I'll stick my neck out and say, "definitely English".  Nice piece.
Ed

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 02:54:55 AM »
Being devoid of proofs, and viewing marks, along with a cherry stock, would point to some other country of origin than England. Maybe Ireland, or Scotland, or of course the good old U.S. The double keys in the forearm  are more American than  English, although a friend has a Maitland 12g a. that has double keys.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:59:19 AM »
  I have seen New England fowlers and rifles with similar checkering.
A lot of New England guns have cherry stocks, too. But the over all look is English. It's a very nice piece regardless of where it was made.
                                                Dan

pault5

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 03:23:32 AM »
That is an English pineapple on end of the trigger guard. This was started after Capt.Cook tour to the south pacific in the 1790's. & mostly found on British guns in the early 1800's. Sorry I'm not at home to recheck this & my memory isn't t as good as it was.
Paul :)

Offline Mike T

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:09:42 PM »
Thanks for the input and opinions on this gun.   If it had some proof marks I'd say definitely English and possibly could trace it.  However, it stumped me that it had none and the possible cherry wood stock likewise.  I thought I heard or read that the American gunmakers in major cities during the 1800's, copied the English shotgun styles, because it was what the customers wanted, admired and would buy.  I was hoping that someone would have seen some characteristic style of some maker or location in the inlays or engraving.  I think that the small oval inlay with the engraved fan or shell with a drop loop is unique, or it may be a commom design like the pineapple on the trigger guard.  I don't know enough about these shotguns to know.  I do know that I like the shotgun.  Someone very skilled put a lot of time and work into making it.  More input is welcome.  Thanks, Mike Torrente
Mike T

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 12:09:32 AM »
Maybe our British gun expert Feltwad will see this thread and comment.

Or you could email him to get his attention!

John
John Robbins

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 05:39:11 AM »
It certainly looks English, but might well have been made by an English gunsmith who emigrated here.