Author Topic: load info  (Read 11572 times)

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: load info
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
Twotimer;

Pocket drill is a very high thread count material very similar to denim. It is designed to be made into pockets in pants, and must endure tremendous amounts of wear without failure.
 If you can find it, the best long term lube I have ever found is Break-free chain and cable foam ( from an industrial supply), in a spray can. It is pretty much the same formula as regular Break-free, but is a lot heavier bodied, and stays where it is put, and doesn't evaporate over time.
 I think you are still leaning toward a patching that will ultimately prove to be too thin. Unless your Bill Large barrel is nearly worn out, the rifling should be quite deep, allowing you to use quite heavy patching with a .490 round ball.
 Make sure you wash the new material a couple of times before using it. This removes the sizing that is added to new material. Material that measures one size in the store, will most likely gain a couple of thousandths after washing. By all means measure the material in the store it drives the ladies in the fabric department crazy. I have an old snap micrometer that really impresses them.

Hungry Horse

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 06:56:09 PM »

what do you guys use as a lubricant for your muzzel loaders after a shooting session or for storage of say 2/3 months,if useing ffg/fffg powder???.

Taylor and I clean all my ML's the same way - barrel off the stock, breech in cold or cool water, no soap as it is not needed and flushing water in and out until they are clean - then dry with cotton flannel patches, then liberally sprayed with WD40 until it runs out the breech, then patch that out with 1 patch, re-assemble, wipe down all over the steel with that WD40 patch, and store muzzle down until they are neded again- 1 week, 1 month, 6 months, 5 years - makes no difference - NEVER any rust.  Note, we use a jag that allows a doubled cotton patch for cleaning. Most jags have to be filed down a bit to allow this - the fit in the bore is VERY tight on the washing and drying patches - it has to be to get down into al corners of the rifling lands and grooves.

Daryl
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:01:56 PM by Daryl »

jamesthomas

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 12:22:13 AM »
 I've had very good results with Birchwoods Casey's Barricade, just checked my rifle which has'nt been touched in 5  months with no sign of rust anywhere, inside or out. I like the Barricade for long term storage.

twotimer

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 06:22:22 PM »
hungry horse,daryl,james,i thank you all and ever-one else who has responded to my questions.this barrel was in almost unfired condition,i had know james for 20 years and it was never fired in all that time.james built it for competition,but disliked the length,then built another .50 cal.with a 42" large barrel for bench shooting,but his favorite was a .45 cal.he used as an everyday shooter,and his wife shot it in competition.all total he built 6 with large barrels.i wish i knew what kind of drum/lock is on this one.maybe i can get my son to post a picture of it on here.i lack the knowledge to do that.again guys,many thanks for the help.my denim will be tomorow and i shall work on a tighter patch/ball combo.

twotimer

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 03:55:58 AM »
i finialy got to set up and shoot a little today.i got in some 8 oz.denim that measures .017 and some 10 oz that measures .024.i set up at 75 yards,shooting table,sandbags.i started out using a speer .495 ball and the 8 oz denim use  a mixture of 70 percent water,30 percent alcohol and neatsfoot oil.started out using 65 grn.ffg,shot a flowler,then shot a 5 shot group then went to se my results.i have a spoting scope but like to look up close and personal.shot an L shaped cloveleaf,but i pulled the forth shot a little,had to much finger on the trigger,which counted for the off center ball.with my 6 oclock hold my group was 2" high and 3" right of center.i went up to 70 grn.ffg,shot another 5 shot group,it pulled my pattern down and left about 1" with a .065 max spread.the tempature was 94 with 80 percent humitidy so i broke down,cleaned up and came in under the air conditioner.i thank all you guys who have shared so freely with your input and advice,comments,ect.i shall post more as i progress toward the ultimate load with ffg and fffg.i like this a lot better than pyradex,plus,this is a quality rifle made with quality parts and put together by a fine craftsman,keep your finger light and your powder dry.regards robert

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 05:02:31 PM »
Sounds good Robert & your accuracy sounds very nice indeed.

twotimer

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 05:11:42 PM »
daryl,i realy appreciate your help with the lube.here were i live there is no-were to buy blackpowder supplies,and i hate to order something and find out it don't work.you would think in my neck of the woods there would be more traditional hunters/shooters.i guess theres to much work in it for the weak hearted.

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »
Stay strong, Robert. ;D

twotimer

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
as a afterthought,i checked my spent patches yesterday.they could be used again,except there were 8 very minute impressions in a semi-circle about 1/8 inch inside the outside perimeter of the patch,very even and uniform in a perfect circle,about the size of a small kitchen match on the butt side.i hope they are from the lands being to sharp,at the muzzle.