Author Topic: questions about a Colonial gunsmith  (Read 3866 times)

voyageur1688

questions about a Colonial gunsmith
« on: December 10, 2008, 05:52:51 AM »
 Hi,
 New to the group but am hoping someone here may know something about a gunsmith named Aaron DeNio or (Denio)  He lived in Deerfield Mass. and was listed as a gunsmith in the early to mid 1700's (born 1704)but that is about all I can find about him in regards to his gunsmithing. I would like to find info and hopefully maybe even some pics of his work along with honest opinions of his works.  He was one of my ancestors and I want to know more about him.
 Thank you for any help.
 Todd

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: questions about a Colonial gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »
I checked the slim list of Massachusetts gunmakers in "The New England Gun" by Merrill LIndsay, but did not find your man. It's not an extensive work, but the only one readily available with some early Mass. gunmakers. I'm not immediately aware of any book that focuses specifically on Massachusetts gunmakers.... but then I'm not from New England.  I would suggest contacting the local library in the town where you think he probably worked, and ask them if they have genealogists available to do some basic research on the name for you. They can usually do a pretty good scan of records for $50. It's probably your best best if you really want to learn something about him.   Shelby Gallien

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 07:00:20 AM »
I did a quick Google search, found his name a couple of times, but not much info. He served in the Revolutionary Way, so there may be records of his service at the Library of Congress. Those records, IF he filed for a pension, might have some really good info in them. He also seemed to be involved in the early settlement of Williamstown, MA. per one reference.  Google is a great source for researching a person. You can also search for historical societites or genealogical societies in the towns or counties he might have lived in, and see what records they have. At times local records are already posted in a form that can be searched through google, always fun to go "surfing" to see what you can find on an old relateve. If the records aren't in searchable format, then it's back to contacting them to see if someone there can search the records for you. Shelby

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 03:09:14 AM »
Born in 1704 and served in the Revolution?

The list in "The New England Gun" is close to worthless. The name as you spell it isn't in Gardner. I can't check Sellers or Stockel because they are in the office but it is a very unusual name for early 18th Century New England. It could be an anglicized corruption of a Hugenot (French Protestant) name but that would be very difficult to trace since the spelling could easily be different everywhere it appeared. Proper spelling as we think of it is a 20th century invention. The feeling against the French was very strong in NE (think Deerfield raid etc.) so even though there were a handful of French here they almost always anglicized their names.

I'd say the best bet would be a genealogical search. There are excellent records, perhaps the best that are readily accessable are those or the Latter Day Saints in Salt Lake City. I'm not certain how you access them but I'm sure you could find an answer on-line. You'll probably have to work backwards through relations you do know the names of to identify how the spelling has changed.

voyageur1688

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 05:01:00 AM »
JV PULEO and TANSELMAN
  This Aaron was Aaron DeNio I.  He was born Jacques Rene DeNoyon in Trois Riviers Quebec in 1704 after his parents were taken as captives to canada from Deerfield Mass. in the Deerfield massacre. He went to stay with his maternal grandfather in Deerfield Mass. in 1714.  This is when the name was changed to this spelling. His father was Jacques DeNoyon-a french canadian fur trader and explorer who is credited with being the first to explore the area west of lake superior as far as lake of the woods and lake winnepeg. Jacques great nephew was Tousaint Charboneau --from the Lewis and Clark expedition. I have much in the way of geaneolgy of the family but there is much about Aaron I including that he was a gunsmith and inn keeper. Unfortunately there is not much I have been able to find on his gunsmithing.
   The Aaron that was in the revolution was Aaron DeNio II. Although Aaron the first apparently was involved in some way in the revolution but due to his extreme age (over 70 in the 1700's was considered ancient) his involvement was minimal with most of it being in the gunsmithing and helping with supplies when possible.
 He is also listed as having sold a "John Awkins" rifle to a Col. Worthington in 1757. I have a photo copy of the receipt from the Smithsonian in hand and have often wondered if the spelling was wrong and if it was actually a John Hawkins.
But being here in Mn. its hard to research much of this with my limited computer skills.
  Todd