Author Topic: Book on leather bags  (Read 4497 times)

FRJ

Book on leather bags
« on: June 13, 2012, 02:27:40 AM »
I'm looking for a book that shows period correct possible, hunting, and haversacks made of leather. Any help would be greatly appreciated. FRJ

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Book on leather bags
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 02:52:10 AM »
The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch by Madison Grant

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Bart

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 04:25:22 AM »
I second the motion on the Madison Grant book, it is great!!

Bart
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:28:00 AM by Bart »

Black Hand

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 03:14:26 PM »
Great pictures!  However many argue the accuracy of the dates given in the book.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »
There are also a number, with good pix, in Recreating The 18th Century Hunting Pouch by Tim Albert.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:48:17 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline JDK

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 04:36:16 AM »
Both of these books are must haves if you are going to make, have made or just enjoy looking at hunting pouches and other accoutrements.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

FRJ

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 02:15:07 AM »
Thanks for the replys guys!!!! I'll start looking for them just as soon as I finish this post. FRJ

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 06:00:59 PM »
There is only one leather haversackish bag that I know of, and it is from a native context, and can only for sure be dated to "Before 1880" as that is the first time the pouch shows up in a collection inventory, but is most likely Huron and early 19th Century.  But it does have a square shape, 3 button closure ect that those of us in the hobby view as a "haversack"

It is published in the book "Patterns of Power" by Dr Ruth Phillips.

Im purposly not considering Civil War period Officers personal purchase leather haversacks, as they are not really part of the "Rifle Culture" that we are all interested in.

Offline Habu

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
The problems with Grant's book are not just with the dates he assigned, but with the "restoration" done and the items added--there's no way of knowing what changes or additions he made to any bag in particular, and that throws all of the bags into question.  It is a wonderful book, great pictures and stories.  I wish I could have known the man.  But I wouldn't use it as documentation or as a reference to authenticate or date anything, or consider anything from his collection as "period correct." 

Offline Artificer

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 02:31:51 AM »
Please understand I am not trying to be a “know it all,” but the use of haversacks by civilians in the 18th century into the early 19th century was almost unknown outside of Militia Equipment, but not even then very often unless they were issued to the militia.  (I am just as guilty as many other folks who used to use cloth haversacks in a civilian interpretation.)  Civilians then used other things for that purpose and if a civilian got caught with a haversack on, he would have some hard explaining to do around military forces, because they would have believed he stole it or bought it illegally from one of the soldiers - as it was military property.  

Civilians usually used a “Market Wallet” or a “Snapsack” to carry items sort of like folks use a “tote” or a backpack today.  

A reproduction Market Wallet and info:

http://www.18cnewenglandlife.org/18cnel/wallets.htm#Market Wallet

A reproduction Snapsack is shown in the link below:

http://www.gggodwin.com/prod-916.htm.  

Both Wallets and Snapsacks were almost always made from cloth and normally fustian was the common material.

.For leather in a Knapsack, we have to go with the British Military:  However, goat skin was primarily used as a waterproof covering and much of the item was made from cloth:

French and Indian War:  http://www.jarnaginco.com/FIcatframe.html

Rev War:  http://www.33rdfoot.org/knapsacks.html

Hope this helps,  Gus
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:56:21 AM by Artificer »