Author Topic: 1841 Mississippi for round ball  (Read 6218 times)

HardBall

1841 Mississippi for round ball
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:04:07 AM »
I've ordered a 1841 Mississippi in .54 cal from Jedidiah Trading.  They're out of the office until 6/14 so I can't confirm that they do indeed have this rifle in .54 and what brand it is.  Their website shows it under the Navy Arms brand but I don't think that's accurate.  Could it be a left over Euroarms?

From my reading a .526" ball might be a better fit than a .530 due to the shallow rifling and the fact that I'd like to keep the patch thickness to at least .015" or .018".  I can order .526" round balls from several places but I've had no luck scrounging up a .526" mould on the forums or eBay.

If they do, in fact, have a left over 1841 in .54 cal with the seven grove rifling and their webpage isn't simply out of date, are these repo's thought to be fairly accurate?

I had an Armi Sport Zouave in .58 that I used strictly with round balls but that rifle didn't make my "A" list during my last gun downsizing.  I had good luck with it and it's shallow grooves, once I got a good patch/ball/powder combo worked out but a .58 can get to be a bit punishing if one desires a fairly flat trajectory.  I know these aren't the type of arm normally talked about on this forum but I've never found such a collective heap of experience to draw from when shooting a patched round ball.

Daryl

Re: 1841 Mississippi for round ball
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 02:54:17 AM »
I shoot patched round balls in my 24" bl. Enfield. I'm using .565" balls (.562" mould) and a .021" patch. The bore is .574", so the balls are only .009" smaller than the bore, which has .003" rifling at the muzzle. yeah- it's tight, that's why I use a starter. They go down easily and even though the sights are so close together, it shoots into 3" at 100 meters.

I would use a .530" ball and .020" patch - minimum.

I've never seen am military OR custom rifle that did not need re-crowning.

Offline LH

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 05:29:10 AM »
I bet itsa Euroarms. One of my buddies just sold his  a few months ago and bought the 1803 Harpers Ferry kit from Track.  He was shooting .535 balls with a .017 patch but never was satisfied with the 100yd accuracy.  The Harpers Ferry seems to be alot more accurate.  His musket scores are way up anyway. 

HardBall

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 02:45:18 PM »
I finally heard back from Jedidiah Starr and they don't have it in stock, but yes it "was" a Euroarms.  They said they're waiting for Pedersoli, who bought EA, to start shipping this rifle in 2 to 3 months.  Right now Pedersoli lists it in .58 cal but supposedly they will also offer it in a 7 groove .54 cal at some point- their .58 cal is listed with a 3-groove barrel.  Pedersoli is also supposed to be offering the Zouave in 58 but in a 7-groove 1-60 twist.

I'm anxious to try either of these with a 7-groove barrel and patched round ball, but I'm more interested in the 1841 in the original .54cal.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »
In the 1850's, many of the .54's (originally round ball guns) were bored to .58 and rifled for the new minni - ie: with  progressive depth rifling similar to that used in the European and English guns. 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »
I have a Euroarms 1841 that I bought 6 or 7 years ago, maybe even further back.  I wanted the original .54 and it was a special order rifle.  The wait actually wasn't all that long and I am very glad I waited and got the .54.

My rifle is extremely well fitted and finished; much better than any other imports I've dealt with over the years.  The stock is fine walnut and the metal finish is superb. 

My load is a .530" ball, .017" - .020" patch lubed with Hoppes.  It loads snugly but not overly tight.  I've also sometimes used slightly thinner patches when out of my usual material.  A fine accuracy load in my rifle is 60grns 3F but I've killed deer using 110grns 3F.  The 60grn load will shoot into an inch at 50 yards; I haven't tried it at 100.  It is one of the finest rifles of any kind I've ever owned.

The original 1841 was designed for prb, by the way; and was the last military rifle issued for use with prb.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 01:54:39 AM »
IIRC from the book, the ball and patch were issued in a paper ctg. along with the powder charge.

HardBall

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 04:42:05 AM »
It is one of the finest rifles of any kind I've ever owned.

It's definitely on my short list, Hanshi.  I got a note back from Pedersoli saying this rifle should be available by the fall.  Jedidiah Starr also said they were told to expect them in 60-90 days.

HardBall

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 04:51:58 AM »
IIRC from the book, the ball and patch were issued in a paper ctg. along with the powder charge.

In one of my books on Civil War Arms, they do show paper cartridges for the .54cal 1841.  Little strings tying off the load of a round ball and powder.  I wonder what the "service" charge of powder was for the 54 round ball load?  I've seen 60grs mentioned for the 54 and 58 cal minie loads but I haven't seen, in my books, a mention of the powder charge for the 54 round ball load.  I imagine it was probably around 60-80gr but I'm just guessing.  It would be interesting to know if the decision makers thought the relatively light (in musket terms) .54 round ball needed a heavier charge of powder than the 54 and 58 bullet loads.

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »
I do think it was 70gr., but might have been only 60gr. Either would kill a man or deer, but would leave you wondering what to do next on a grizzly, just as Clark found when using their 1803's on them.