Author Topic: Buying a drill press  (Read 24676 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Re: Buying a drill press
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »
I have one of the drill guides from Tom Snyder which will be used to drill barrel pins.

mr. smith, i sure would like to find out how to get one of them drill guides.

Check in "Items For Sale/Wanted", page 3, look fot Snyder.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:03:19 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Eric Smith

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »
I have one of the drill guides from Tom Snyder which will be used to drill barrel pins.

mr. smith, i sure would like to find out how to get one of them drill guides.

Check in "Items For Sale/Wanted", page 3, look fot Snyder.
Topknot
Here is a picture of the fixture that I build.  I will be making some more this fall.  When they are available I will start a post.  Don't want to take orders as that got out of control the last time between replys to the thread, personal emails and replies to the message board.

David
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:41:39 AM by David Rase »

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
david,
i would like to purchase one of these, please e-mail  info
thanks
paul

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2012, 11:37:48 PM »
I have that exact same drill press. It works fine. In fact it does the same quality work I can do on the models at work, which are older and heavier machine shop models. I can tell you that I do wish I had sprung the extra cash to get it's floor model twin.
Psalms 144

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2012, 12:16:28 AM »
Dave do you have a pilot screw for #10 screw, #8 screw?

Hahahaha.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2012, 05:00:56 AM »
MR RASE, I AM VERY INTERESTED IN PURCHASING ONE OF THESE FROM YOU. I NEED ONE AS SOON AS YOU CAN PROVIDE IT.
 PLEASE drop me a line either here or email me. my email address is in my profile.

thanks,

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2012, 05:07:28 AM »
TOPKNOT, you'd have better results if you PM Mr Rase. Any posting of his you see, click on his name, and his profile comes up. Down at the bottom, under his profile, it says 'send this person a personal message'.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline heinz

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
TopKnot,  I ordered one from mr Rase and am well pleased with the product.
kind regards, heinz

dannybb55

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2012, 01:37:52 AM »
Gentlemen, I am considering buying a benchtop drill press. My bench is 8 1/2' long, with another 4' long bench for other work. I am intersted in using this drill pres to drill holes in lock plates, buttplates, and for polishing work, plus turning and filing lock bolts. I submit this link for your perusal as to whether or not this" benchtop drill press " would fit the bill for the average gunstocker/smith.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Drill-Press/G7943

Opinions welcomed.      Eric the beginner
We Bought a 5 foot tall Grizzley 5 years ago and it is worn out. The chuck key supplied fits the chuck indifferently. The belt tensioner is worn out and has to be tensioned with a stick. The height adjustment rack fell off the post after 6 months and parts were NLA after one yea. Griz makes junk. Buy antique MADEINUSA tools and maintain them. They will outlast you.
                   Danny

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2012, 12:43:14 AM »
It's hard to find MADEINUSA tools anymore.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:27:00 PM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2012, 04:51:52 AM »
How about a "Made in USA" bench vise for $699? THAT is the reason made in the USA tools are hard to find. We have priced ourselves off the market and handed that same market to aggressive competitors that will work for less.I have a bench vise I bought from MSC in 1976 and I have been using it ever since. It has a sliding rear jaw that runs on a dovetail and and adjustable gib. It was on sale for $25. It was made in Poland. All  of my machines I use daily are USA made from 1934 to 1965.I do have a Chinese small drill press that I used to make a wad cutter for my 45-70 days in BPCR and I haven't used it for years and don't know if it still works or not.

Bob Roller

dannybb55

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2012, 11:52:22 PM »
It's hard to find MADEINUSA tools anymore.
One good place is E Bay.
                        Danny

Offline JDK

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2012, 06:04:03 AM »
I was patient and a while back I finally got my one owner Made In U.S.A. Delta 14" Bandsaw from a listing on Craig's List.

Checked every day and picked it up less than 10 miles from home for less than half the price of a new Chinese model.

They are out there.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline b bogart

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »
All of my machinery/tools are USA made. I don't have the money to buy new so I settle for used, but in good shape equipment. In fact my Sears bandsaw (circa 1950's) was free, so was my Atlas lathe and Clausing mill (circa 1950's).  Wow my equipment may be older than me :o May be in better shape then me too :D You all are right tho, USA made older equipment can be had reasonably priced.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »
I have 4 Atlas lathes and a Clausing Vertical mill ,The mill I bought new in 1967 and the lathes are 2 Atlas and 2 Craftsman which are the same machines> New repair parts are available from Clausing but being captive market,they are not cheap. The one Chinese drill press was bought to make a wad cutter from and there are no American made small presses that I can find. The Clausing mills bring a good price today because no one makes anything like them that is affordable that is in any catalogs I have.

Bob Roller

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »
The unions will soon leave us with nothing BUT imports.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

dannybb55

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2012, 01:57:32 AM »
It may be a good idea to make your spare parts in advance of failure for you milling machine, lathes, etc.
 I never had a need for more than a Champion drill, a forge and a good vice, personally.
                                  Danny

Offline b bogart

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2012, 03:39:36 AM »
Hanshi a Union made it possible for me to provide well for my family. Greed is what will ruin us.