Author Topic: Rifle signed J Young  (Read 3907 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Rifle signed J Young
« on: June 18, 2012, 05:37:32 PM »

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:18:19 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Rifle signed I Young
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »
Aaaaaah, yes.  The "Delaware Daisy" as I like to call it (as in Delaware River, not the state).  Easton area.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:19:34 PM »
The forward sideplate reminds me of New England rifles.  Any thoughts on the
rear sideplate?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »
Fine gun appearing in excellent condition. Barrel signature???
"Just happened to have that  piece of brass" or ? restock??
Hurricane
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 06:57:42 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Rifle signed J Young
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:36:56 PM »
He tried to inlet something nicer and messed it up and finally just had to cover the mistake....... ::) ::)
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 11:24:25 PM »
From the top view of the trigger guard  it looks like one of the Young family of Easton. Mr. Kettenburg is on the money.   JIM
JIM

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 01:01:42 AM »
It's definitely Young's (of Easton) hardware, and the stock shaping is even in alignment with early 19th century work.  I find the crude nature of the sideplates odd however, although one might view them as simply big "blanks" that could be decoratively pierced and filed out to the more characteristic high quality Young shaping and engraving.  IF its all original, maybe it was just a cheap rifle or finished in a hurry.  It's tough to view something like that without pasting our current modes of thinking upon it, but that's not really the right way to view it.  Overall I definitely like it and I have a thing for those box finials (which have popped up once or twice down into Bucks Co. also, to the south of Easton).
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 03:30:15 AM »
My guess is that the original sideplate/lock bolt escutcheon was missing or broken and was replaced by someone with far less skill than the maker.