Author Topic: Were Kentucky Rifles made in New Jersey and Delaware  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Were Kentucky Rifles made in New Jersey and Delaware
« on: June 18, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »
Have not heard of Makers from these colonies/states. Does anyone know more about this?
Hurricane

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Were Kentucky Rifles made in New Jersey and Delaware
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 01:06:47 AM »
I grew up in Hopewell (NJ) and my third grade teacher's husband (Jack Dotson, iirc) was a collector of kentuckies.  He had donated a Reading rifle and I think a couple of other pieces to the little Hopewell museum, and I spoke to him on the phone once when I was in my late teens/early 20s.  He did have a couple of rifles that he said were made somewhere around the central NJ area ca. 1800 give or take a bit (again iirc) and he had some information on the makers, but we moved away and I didn't get a chance to get back there until after he had died.  I don't know what happened to his collection but I always heard he had a pretty huge pile of "stuff."
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 03:26:51 AM »
I saw a pair of pistols by a New Jersey maker at Friendship about ten years ago.  I do not recall the name, but they were of high quality.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 02:14:37 AM »
Went to high school in Delmar, Delaware.  Sussex County. This being a very Anglo Saxon, or maybe just Saxon, area my home was in Little Creek Hundred.
A "Hundred" is an old political subdivision containing nominally ten Saxon families.
Delaware does have some Swedes & a sprinkling of Moors.  It is very much ethnic English & I am inclined to believe that Bullet Rifles are foreign to our First State.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 01:25:38 AM »
Kentucky rifles can only be made in Kentucky, just like the (hicup) bourbon.
Eric Smith