Author Topic: Anyone familiar with a H. Sayler gunmaker?  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Anyone familiar with a H. Sayler gunmaker?
« on: June 19, 2012, 02:51:08 PM »
Anyone know who this maker is (top rifle)? I think its a good looking rifle but I have never heard nor can I find information on the maker. This photo is from a listing for an upcoming Rock Island Auction.
Dennis

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:26:40 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Anyone familiar with a H. Sayler gunmaker?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:09:01 PM »
Dennis, maybe kin to Jacob Saylor who made muskets for the " Committie of Safety"(Kauffman). On ancestry.com one of the family trees has Jacob having a son Henry Sayler (Saylor,Siler) born 1782 Bedford PA died Marion County Ohio 1854.  www.aolrc.org  has a article on Jacob Saylor. Possible some connection.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:10:06 PM by Avlrc »

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »
Hi Dennis, my eyes are not all that up to par, can you tell if your Sayler rifle pictured has a coiled snake engraved on the PB head? I know that the Virginia Manufactory  did some snake boxes. They are quite rare and go for some pretty big bucks.  Another thought is that the rifle pictured is perhaps a contemporary piece?
Joel Hall

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »
Dennis, maybe kin to Jacob Saylor who made muskets for the " Committie of Safety"(Kauffman). On ancestry.com one of the family trees has Jacob having a son Henry Sayler (Saylor,Siler) born 1782 Bedford PA died Marion County Ohio 1854.  www.aolrc.org  has a article on Jacob Saylor. Possible some connection.

Thanks Avric, tried to find that site yesterday since I remembered they had a good listing of Ohio gun makers. Found the article on Jacob Saylor and noticed that Jacob was the son of Henry Saylor and that with ancestry.com saying Jacob had a son named Henry makes sense. Probably Scot/Irish and a father's name is usually the name given to the first son. Could be this guy.

Hi Dennis, my eyes are not all that up to par, can you tell if your Sayler rifle pictured has a coiled snake engraved on the PB head? I know that the Virginia Manufactory  did some snake boxes. They are quite rare and go for some pretty big bucks.  Another thought is that the rifle pictured is perhaps a contemporary piece?
Joel,
No I blew up the photo and the patchbox head is not a snake. Can't make a lot out with the pixelation but can tell enough about it that I am sure its not a snake. I am familiar with the Va Manufactory snake head box.
Thanks
Dennis

Thanks
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson