Author Topic: Angstadt Rifle  (Read 10494 times)

Online wildcatter

Angstadt Rifle
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:54:24 AM »
After reading all the Angstadt info in the museum, I encouraged a good friend of mine to take some pictures of his rifle signed A Angstadt to post here.  The rifle has been handed down in his family since it was purchased by his g,g,g,g grandfather. Well, the pictures aren't here yet via email but he took the gun apart.  He found as best he can tell on the bottom of the barrel, "C Richwine" with a large "M" stamped through it and "L Hiester Reading PA", along with "A Angstadt on the top flat."  Any ideas as to either names and is it a re-used barrel or do you think Angstadt bought barrels from a maker.  Opinions and guesses welcome!!
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Angstadt Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:56:44 AM »
Adam probably purchased his barrels.Can't wait for the pics :) :) :)

Mitch

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 01:38:47 AM »
C. Richwine maker Reading pa 1840. Noted as also working in flint period
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:39:56 AM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 02:37:32 AM »
Barrel makers usually put their name on the under side flats, and back close to the breech end.

Gun makers usually put their name on the top flat about 6 or 8 inches from the breech end.

So the location of the Richwine name could indicate whether he was a barrel, or gun, maker.

John
John Robbins

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 04:37:53 AM »
Can't wait to see the pics.
Eric Smith

Online wildcatter

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 05:12:33 AM »
I'll make sure he gets pictures of both sides of the barrel, would be interesting discussion if one of the two names on the underside of the barrel turns out to be another gun maker.
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 06:04:21 AM »
Richwine, Cornelius - Born in 1802 in Baden, Germany, married Elizabeth Holtry and has ten children. He opened a gun shop in 1835 and made gun barrels until he sold the shop, which became Ruth's Grist Mill. He died in 1885. (gunmakers of the Wyomissing Creek, 1976).

Richwine (Reichwein), Cornelius. Gunsmith, 1838-40, Cumru Twp. Berks County (tax, Whisker)

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:10:53 AM »
"L. Hiester, Reading" is a stamp of a Barrel Maker (see Kindig #75).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:13:28 AM by Mark Tyler »

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 06:23:54 AM »
Can't wait to see the photos.

oakridge

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 03:20:48 PM »
Looking forward to the pics. Must be one heck of a barrel. Two guys claiming to have made it.   :)

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 05:16:23 PM »
Richwine, Cornelius - Born in 1802 in Baden, Germany, married Elizabeth Holtry and has ten children. He opened a gun shop in 1835 and made gun barrels until he sold the shop, which became Ruth's Grist Mill. He died in 1885. (gunmakers of the Wyomissing Creek, 1976).

Richwine (Reichwein), Cornelius. Gunsmith, 1838-40, Cumru Twp. Berks County (tax, Whisker)

Mark,  What reference did you find that in?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »
Rob,

1. "Gunmakers of the Wyomissing Creek: A Research Project", Governor Mifflin Area Bicentennial Committee, 1976.
2. "Arms Makers of Pennsylvania" by James B. Whisker, Susquehanna University Press, 1990 (Whisker referenced tax lists).

Mark

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 06:56:21 PM »
Mark,  What does a membership to your library cost?
See you Saturday?

eddillon

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 07:04:18 PM »
Once had a Hawken halfstock percussion with the name Richwine on the bottom flat.  That was almost 40 years ago.  This is the first mention of the name, Richwine, that I have seen since then.

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 01:01:34 AM »
Holy cow where are the pictures?  :o :o
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 04:32:39 AM »
My understanding is that barrels were often stamped with the name of the barrel making operation and the individual that actually made the barrel.  This provided the purchaser of the barrel (the gunsmith) with the precise maker if problems subsequently arose.

Is that what is happening here?

Offline eastwind

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »
Would love to see this rifle and the barrel marks. I suspect you have a barrel possibly freshened by Reichwine and originally made by Heister--as their dates of operation and factories were far apart- Heister above Reading and Reichwein below Reading in Mohnton.
Or could be Reichwein apprenticed under Heister-a bit of a long shot! Heister made barrels for Haga in Reading.

Also FYI, the book on the Wyomissing Creek makers was a high school study (my old almamater), whereby the students did the research and an admirable job at that. But some mistakes exist--such as J. Mulholland making 5,000 rifles. He was a VP at the Reading Railroad and contracted with the Meriden Co. in Massachusetts to make barrels- had no connection to Pennsylvania gunmakers. Dates are also suspect in the booklet. But that high school project eventually resulted into placing pewter markers all along the Wyomissing Creek identifying gunsmiths building and locations -  amazing project, now administered by the Industries of the Wyomissing Creek Historical Society.

In any case--I would like to see this rifle and those marks ...

Patrick Hornberger
Patrick Hornberger

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 12:10:22 AM »
Apparently Simon Miller used barrels made by J. Worly as I found a barel signed/engraved 'S. Miller' on the top flat and J. Worly on the bottom quarter flat at the breech.
Dick

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »
Pictures are sometimes offered, but they can't be produced on demand.

a)Sometimes an owner is uncomfortable with posting pictures of the piece on the web, for good reason.
b)Or pictures don't exist, and must be taken, processed, and posted. It's a lot of work.
c)Very often, the owner doesn't have a digital camera or know how to post pictures.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.