Author Topic: Shooting accuracy.  (Read 6252 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Shooting accuracy.
« on: June 21, 2012, 02:41:28 PM »
I had a nightmare. I dreamed I was compeating and all my shots went through one Hole. It got scored as one hit and all the other shots were misses.  :o  Has anything like this ever happened?

4ster

Re: Shooting accuracy.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 02:52:07 PM »
 ;D If you can shoot that good, why not make a  :) in the ten ring?  Or the finger.

I saw a clip of Ed McGilvery making a profile portrait on a sheet of tin with a .38 revolver - that was good shoot'n.  If he was target shooting and he said that all the shots went through the same hole I would have believed him, not so much anyone else.  (Maybe Annie Okley.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:17:41 PM by 4ster »

leadslinger62

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »
  Never saw a one holer five shoot group. But, years ago, a shooter at our  now defunct Club shot a five shot group that sure was close to it. He pulled His Target and showed the Range Officer. The Range Officer  disallowed the Target because the Shooter pulled it before He showed the Range Officer  the five x score!! Of course a big arguement broke out and it cost the Club a lot of members.

docone

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »
I was at a range once, where the SillyWetters were doing one hole groups.
The targets had a roll of paper behind the target to show a round being fired rather than being a miss.
I was definately impressed!
That is a different league than Long Rifles. I doubt very much if I could even get two touching with their equipment. With my Muzzys, I am lucky to get the berm at 100yds.
Old eyes and all that.
I did get to fire one of those rifles.
I prefer these rifles, one hole groups or not.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »
17 years ago, I shot a 50 4X that was one enlarged ragged hole. 50 yd, offhand.  After the 4th shot, I called the range officer over, and he spotted for me while I fired the 5th shot. He said he saw it , and counted it, but you would not have known from the target. If you have a good string going, ask for a spotter. Or I find that shooting a smaller cal. helps  ;D  My 40 doesn't destroy the 10 ring like the .54 did .

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »
17 years ago, I shot a 50 4X that was one enlarged ragged hole. 50 yd, offhand.  After the 4th shot, I called the range officer over, and he spotted for me while I fired the 5th shot. He said he saw it , and counted it, but you would not have known from the target. If you have a good string going, ask for a spotter. Or I find that shooting a smaller cal. helps  ;D  My 40 doesn't destroy the 10 ring like the .54 did .
Jeez, I should have such a problem... ;D

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »
I had a nightmare. I dreamed I was competing and all my shots went through one Hole. It got scored as one hit and all the other shots were misses.  :o  Has anything like this ever happened?

A similar occurance happened to me the first and last time I shot a match with the British Columbia Black Powder Federation shoot at the Summer Games held in Prince George, many years ago.

I used Taylor's .60 cal. Hawken Pistol with the single set trigger for the 25 yard pistol match. I made a round 1 1/4" hole at 25 yards with my 5 shots, which was typical for both of us with that same pistol in those days.  As the "official scorer"  who could not put 5 consecutive shots on a target herself, could only see rings from 3 of the shots,  she scored me with 2 misses 30/50 on what was actually a 50/3X target.  

So, Micah, yes, a similar situation has happened.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:34:16 PM »
I've posted these pics before, but it serves to illustrate exactly what you're referring to.  In this case, I was awarded the correct score, so no nightmare.  The target was folded prior to being shot.  Yeah, it's only 25 yds.  Big deal!!

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »
Taylor won THAT one. ;D The backboard showed the one 'high' shot had 1/2 ball inside the crease. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:10:09 PM by Daryl »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »
 My club had this happen at a couple of matches, so we put up some wooden stakes behind the target frames, and unrolled a roll of light tar paper, and stapled it up. Problem solved. The bullets may cut the same hole in the target, but spread enough to validate the number of shots on the tar paper. The tar paper leaves a clean hole as well, so the rounds are easy to count.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 11:07:52 PM »
I had a nightmare. I dreamed I was compeating and all my shots went through one Hole. It got scored as one hit and all the other shots were misses.  :o  Has anything like this ever happened?

Happens to me all the time, AHEM!  ;D

Seriously, way, way back when I was shooting and teaching (modern)  pistol, It was quite normal for me to "one hole" at 25 yards.  Those days are over and then some :'(
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:04 AM »

hanshi
Seriously, way, way back when I was shooting and teaching (modern)  pistol, It was quite normal for me to "one hole" at 25 yards.  Those days are over and then some :'(

Ain't that the truth.   

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 01:06:57 AM »
Well I said it was a nightmare, with my eyes if I get them all in the target I think I've accomplished something. If I ever put them in one hole, I'd be questioning the results. ;D

Daryl
I offer my condolences. I can only imagine the wailing at that match :o

Taylor, Nice target. Why is it folded in half?

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 01:53:32 AM »
That was the contest- 1/2 a target. Most who tried for 5 10's, ended up with some 'real' misses - like me.

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 12:27:59 AM »
Once had a syzygy at 25 yds with a pistol. Fortunately the range officer was watching as I shot.
One of the five went slightly out into the nine the rest were one ragged hole at the edge of the ten ring it scored a 50 no x.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:30:27 AM by zimmerstutzen »