Author Topic: Tang vs lock?  (Read 4476 times)

Ravenwolf

Tang vs lock?
« on: July 01, 2012, 02:50:07 AM »
I wanted to know, is there a right or wrong, on putting in the tang inlet or locate the lock plate on my gun? Yes; after 3 diferent DVDs plus the books etc. Is there a list? on the basic steps? Best to you and yours; Ravenwolf; I see TOPNOT is asking also?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 02:51:30 AM by Ravenwolf »

Bentflint

Re: Tang vs lock?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »
If you are working from a blank, the barrel has to be where you want it before you locate the lock. If you want a list here it is, in order.
Barrel.
Ramrod hole. Very important when gun is finished.
Tang.
Lock. Very important for function of gun.
Trigger and trigger plate. Very important for trigger pull weight.
Butt plate or trigger guard.
Everything else as you like.
Nose cap.
Pipes.
Patch box.
Toe plate.
Touch hole. You need to know what you are using for a touch hole before you inlet the lock.
Sights.
Now you can shape the stock.
Carving and engraving.
Stain.
Metal finish.
Stock oil.
Slap it all together.
Shoot the thing and have fun.
I omitted about a few 100 details to keep it short.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:26:25 PM by Bentflint »

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »
raven,

My order of build is not much different from what is posted above.  I:
1. profile the stock,
2. let in the barrel,
3. let in the tang,
4. install barrel lugs,
5. drill barrel pins and install tang screw using a nut for the interim,
6. cut ramrod groove,
7. bore ramrod hole,
8. locate and centerpunch vent (flash hole),
9. shape stock to the point where the lock flats can be located
10. let in lock for optimum vent hole positioning
11. make and install trigger, then trigger plate
12. Locate and install butt plate
13. The rest.

The remainder of the build is not as is not as order-sensitive.  But I usually make and install ramrod pipes while the stock is still square in the fore end.  I make and install the ramrod as soon as there are pipes to hold it and the ramrod stays in the stock, especially when the barrel is out.  I shape the butt stock before I install the trigger guard.  I try to build a plain, well proprotioned rifle before I do any carving.

That's how I do it.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:29:59 PM »
It's typical to inlet the breech plug and tang prior to inletting the lock, but it can be done in the opposite order as well.  If you know what you are doing and where you are going, there are many variations to the order or method in which a lognrifle can be built.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »
I do much as the guys above, except that I drill the touchhole almost last. Then I'm not tempted to fire the gun in the white.

I make a modification to Long John's list:
1. profile the stock,

I profile the top line ONLY. This leaves the extra wood on the bottom for setting the barrel deeper if you screw up the inlet.
2) ramrod hole
3) set the lock(watch the position of the rr hole for the front lock bolt)

With those items out of the way, you can start to configure the bottom line of the stock, estimating the room needed for single trigger or DST. It's tricky business. It's one of those 'measure twice, cut once' deals.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:56:28 PM »
I profile the top line ONLY. This leaves the extra wood on the bottom for setting the barrel deeper if you screw up the inlet.

This will also keep the stock stiffer while inletting the barrel. I didn't do so on the one I am building now and and ended up having to clamp a 2x4 to it in order to finish the barrel inlet. Then the ramrod hole went slightly awry and I had to inlet the barrel slightly lower in an already-profiled stock without altering the lines - not much fun.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 06:18:58 PM »
Acer has got a good point.  When I profile a stock blank I am VERY GENEROUS along the bottom line of the stock just in case I have to deal with "problems".  I like to get the barrel pinned ASAP because the barrel helps keep the stock nice and stiff/straight while performing subsequent operations. 

Clearly there is more than one way to skin a cat, and different ways provide different advantages.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 06:41:04 PM »
Also what Jim K has said makes complete sense. 'Once you know how', do it in any sequence you like.

I tend to work somewhere in the middle ground, inletting some things out of sequence, but have also felt the 'sting' of getting out of sequence, like the proverbial painting thine self into a corner. I have made the project more difficult by doing this, or compromising the overall design to compensate for my foolishness.

Oh, now I fully comprehend Jim's caveat "Once you know how", because I have experienced going into a gun WITHOUT 'knowing how', and what the consequences are!  >:(

So until you 'know how', I recommend you (and me!) follow a logical sequence.

Which brings up another related subject.
The ability to make changes 'on the fly' to the architecture can be limited if you inlet parts out of sequence.
Example: if you cut both top and bottom profile, and inlet the trigger plate and guard, you may not easily take more off the bottom profile of the stock.

A gun build is a purely natural progression, and most of it is how one part relates to another.

Confuscious say: To get carts before horses can sometimes lead to traffic jam.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Ravenwolf

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 04:10:25 AM »
Thanks for ALL your help. I am having fun, this is what is most important. Best to you and yours. Ravenwolf;