Author Topic: Shooting boxes  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
Shooting boxes
« on: July 02, 2012, 12:15:02 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about making some shooting boxes and am asking for some imput from you all. What size and configuration would todays shooter need. I hope to hear from as many of as possible to come up with a quality box for sale as soon as I can figure what meets the need.

Thanks for your help.....Dan Fruth
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Martyman

Re: Shooting boxes
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
My box is what some people call a shoe shine box style. The lid slides off the top and it has a tray that pulls out of the top. its probably 12"x9" and 10" tall. A key for me is to be able to carry it with one hand so the other is free to carry my rifle. Ill take some pictures and post when i get home.

Black Hand

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
I shoot out of the pouch. 
I used to carry a box, but soon tired of lugging around all the extra $#@* that I didn't really need.  The box now stays at home....

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 01:07:20 AM »

HardBall

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 05:13:03 AM »
I shoot out of the pouch. 
I used to carry a box, but soon tired of lugging around all the extra $#@* that I didn't really need.  The box now stays at home....

I'm gradually moving towards the pouch only method myself.  As it is now, I carry a medium sized tool box with all my "$#@*" out towards the back of my property where I'm slowly building my range.  I would rather have something similar to the older type fishing tackle boxes that had the trays that all opened up when you opened the lid but it seems they've mostly gone to soft tackle bags with clear plastic lure boxes stacked within.  I would much rather throw a shooting bag over my shoulder and trek out though.

Black Hand

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 02:58:39 PM »
Once one realizes that you don't need the range rod, the T handle, the 15 measures, the 4 extra cans of powder, 3 different types of balls, the 7 types of patches, lube, etc., you find that it is indeed very easy to shoot from the pouch (a small pouch, not one of those suitcase-sized ones).  My pouch has all I might need for shooting 30-45 shots (depends on how many balls I remembered to put in the ball-bag), in addition to what I might need to maintain my rifle/smoothbore in the field.  If needs be, I can throw an extra can of powder, a container of balls and some extra pre-lubed patches in the truck to refill as needed.

Offline BJH

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 03:55:17 PM »
After my brush with back trouble, I plan to make a much smaller and lighter shooting box for each of my guns in a specific caliber.  My intension is to lay out all the spare stuff, and determine what room I need to provide. Using a removable tray with tackle box style compartments for the little stuff. Using a reasonable sized compartment for enough balls for a shoot. Instead of a peanut butter jar full. I plan to use this as a adjunct to my bag.  BJH
BJH

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »
PM sent, Dan.
Kermit
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »
Once one realizes that you don't need the range rod, the T handle, the 15 measures, the 4 extra cans of powder, 3 different types of balls, the 7 types of patches, lube, etc., you find that it is indeed very easy to shoot from the pouch (a small pouch, not one of those suitcase-sized ones).  My pouch has all I might need for shooting 30-45 shots (depends on how many balls I remembered to put in the ball-bag), in addition to what I might need to maintain my rifle/smoothbore in the field.  If needs be, I can throw an extra can of powder, a container of balls and some extra pre-lubed patches in the truck to refill as needed.

Not need all that stuff????? :o :o Hush your mouth.