Author Topic: Original Hunting Pouch with scalloped edges  (Read 6988 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Original Hunting Pouch with scalloped edges
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:01:13 AM »
This antique hunting pouch is about 7 inches tall and 9 inches wide with scalloped edges.  Bag from Western Pennsylvania.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Luke MacGillie

Re: Original Hunting Pouch with scalloped edges
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 02:07:46 AM »
My Dad has a hand crank pinking machine that makes that same pattern, used it for the felt backing that he put on bearskin rugs.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 06:59:52 AM »
I believe this scalloping was cut with some special leather cutting punches.  They came in various radii.  You can see where the cuts were not carefully located and the scalloping is a little bit off.  If this was done with a machine the scalloping would be more uniform.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 07:51:02 AM »
Randy, I would say you are right. Looks like an individual punch to me also.
Regards   Frank

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 02:19:43 AM »
It's a great find.  I like it, may make one similar.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »
It's very brittle can anyone tell me how to soften it so I can reposition the flop for long term
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 03:29:01 AM »
Once the leather is at the point it's at now,there is really nothing that you can do to safely re-position the flap. You can apply Mink oil or any GOOD leather cream that has NO petrolium product's to help preserve the leather and keep it from dissappearing too fast,but nothing can be done once it's to this point. If you try to move the flap around,it'll fall off. It's a GREAT piece!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline T*O*F

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline TPH

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
It is a great piece and a rare item too. It deserves the best of care.

Lexol is good since it is water based but my preferred leather treatment will always be properly applied pure neatsfoot oil (NOT neatsfoot compounds), nothing else does the job as well. Others will disagree and that is fine, just use as little as possible no matter what you use - more is not better. Avoid anything with petroleum products, this include all "Pecards" products and mink oil, etc. They may be fine for work boots and modern made, user grade leather items but should not even be in the same room with antique leather items.

That being said, I agree with Pathfinder an original item that has reached this point is unrestorable and is best left as is. Use only minimal or no treatments, they can not bring back life to a "dead" piece of leather when it reaches this stage. Keep it out of direct sunlight and keep humidity in the storage area at a level where you are comfortable, about 40% to no more than 60%. Do not "excersize" the leather. Undisturbed and carefully kept, this leather piece will still be around for viewing and research long after we are gone.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:56:36 PM by TPH »
T.P. Hern

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:45:30 PM »
any photos of the back?
tca
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:46:21 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 06:12:03 PM »
I didn't take any photos of the back.  It is plain with nothing other than where the strap was
attached.  Last night I put the pouch into a shallow shadow box type picture frame.  This way it
won't be handled.  It is too fragile to put anything other than a spray on product on it, so I'm
just going to leave it alone.  Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 02:36:58 AM »
A wonderful find.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.  Very few of the originals have survived
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

KennyC

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 06:42:02 AM »
Way cool I allsway look for4 them every where I go and never have found one after 30 years of looking YET thanks for sharingt

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 07:31:03 AM »
Glad to share it. 

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 04:28:07 AM »
Thanks for putting it in a shadowbox frame! Great move! ;D
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!