Author Topic: Need to add length to the tip of my entry thimble  (Read 4253 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Need to add length to the tip of my entry thimble
« on: December 12, 2008, 06:50:01 AM »
I am going to use this entry thimble on a gun and have modified the tang into a point.

http://trackofthewolf.com/(S(vtv435rzdxwld2ipdgk0jn45))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=0&subId=0&styleId=0&partNum=RP-FOWL-E-6-B

I would like to have that point just a little longer as it seems just a little squat for the architecture.
Do you think I can anneal this cast piece and try to draw it out just a little at the tip to avoid cutting it off under the thumbnail and brazing a longer piece?

Any suggestions appreciated

Jim

Offline Dave B

Re: Need to add length to the tip of my entry thimble
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 08:17:17 AM »
The tail on that is pretty thick unlike the #7 so I think you could pean it out with the cross pean making the tail longer. I should qualify that in as much as the rod pipe is soft yellow brass vs a more stiff type. I got a butt plate from them that was hard as a rock a long while back. It cracked into a huge mess when I tried to anneal it. The next one I got was soft as butter go figure
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »
You could cut the whole tail off at the thumbnail and solder a new tail of sheet brass underneath it of whatever size and shape you want. Brazing isn't necessary.

Dale H

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 06:31:16 PM »
If you solder on a piece use high temp silver solder. It will not come adrift.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate to add brass to a pipe extension by silver soldering.  But when I add a little 'tit' to the inside of the extension as a tang retaining device, I soft solder it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

George F.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 08:10:50 PM »
I soft solder only barrel lugs. All else I silver solder. I recently added a 1/4" piece of brass to the upper and lower plates on a patchbox. A good fit is a must. When the solder flowed, a squezzed the new piece and the plate together. The result was an invisible joint with the eye. Under the head gear it was slightly visible. Of course you add more than you need to later be shaped and filed.   ...Geo.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 09:23:53 PM »
How far do you intend to draw it out??? The only way to tell if it will draw out is to try it.  None of us know what these are cast out of.  If it's soft brass it will draw out.  I don't soft solder much of anything.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 06:36:57 AM »
If it's made of sheet brass, it will draw. If cast, like Jerry sez, you won't know until you try it.

I think some of Track's castings are a yellow bronze, not brass, and it does not like annealing or drawing at all. It likes to crack. Harder to file than steel.

Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.